I had no idea why I got ill all of a sudden, but I did my best to help myself. I was sad, though.

When I came back, I found that only two proposals were accepted, and they agreed on choosing only two. I was disappointed, of course, but I had no reason to argue even though I was not responsible for my illness.

In that moment of my disappointment, I discovered undeleted files of Roy's from past years.

Without a second thought, I copy- pasted them to my personal email to send to my dad later that day.

Damon's POV

The phone rang again, and I ignored it for the second time even though I knew that Avery was not going to give up easily, especially when it's something that caught her eye.

I went back to the new proposed designs, which were to be taken to the shareholders.

I was about to go over Caleb's when the door on my office burst open, and an annoyed Avery came in.

    "Don't you know how to knock?"

I managed to crack a joke, but she was not in the mood. I sat down and waited for her outburst, but there came none. Instead, she threw a designed booklet in front of me and shot me a deadly glare.

"But why are you so hell bent on having this woman's design approved? Did she bribe you or something?"

I asked when I saw Kimberly Scott written on its cover.

"That is because I want the best for the company, unlike someone. Surprisingly, he's the owner. "

She said sarcastically, rolling her big green eyes.

Avery has been my best friend since high school. She knew how to put my annoying ass in its place, but I was not so sure about the Kimberly girl. The fact that she was new was not clicking in, but I knew how stubborn Avery should be, so I gave in.

Sometimes, I wondered how Ralph handled her. Avery's fiancé. He was more like a brother to me as well since kindergarten.

    "Tell her to come in my office. But you will leave, I don't want your manipulation into picking her."

When she was about to argue, I raised one brow at her, and she huffed. "Fine. You will like being alone with her all right."

She smirked at me, rushing to the door.

"Are you for real? I know that look damn well Avery. Sometimes, you forget that I'm engaged."

I emphasized the engaged part maybe mostly for my sake to keep it in mind.

"Are you saying that to me or to yourself? Anyway, good luck with the questioning, but don't be an ass."

She winked at me and left the office. Sometimes, I wondered how she was my best friend because of how sneaky she was, but either way, she was amazing.

    As if on cue, Diana's name flashed on the screen.

My fiancé.

I debated on ignoring the call but later decided to pick it up.

"I'm going on a date tonight. Are you coming home today?"

she sounded hopeful on the other side.

"I'm not sure, but I may not come. Good luck with your date. Make sure to keep a low profile."

That had been going on for a while. Sometimes, I wondered if she was meeting one guy or if they were different.

It was almost a year for our contract to end, so I was okay with it. None of us wanted to be tied in that contracted marriage, but sometimes I felt sorry for her as her dad was not as flexible as mine, but I was ready to help her.