"That's hardly a punishment. Don't you like taking shots of me?" Genevieve did a dramatic hair flick and shot him a megawatt smile.

"You're right," Ray's smile turned soft as his gaze danced over Genevieve's face, "It's no punishment at all."

Ray was doing it again, throwing heat to an otherwise ordinary conversation and blasting her crush through the roof. Suddenly tired of skirting around her attraction for the man and wondering what to do with it, Genevieve leaned forward and met his eyes.

Genevieve was so ready to date this man. To hell with him being her former or future boss. The thought of dating Ray was too exciting to let go. All she cared about was now. It wouldn't matter if things between them didn't last; she was no stranger to picking up the pieces of her heart and moving on.

"You said you found me attractive last night, yeah?" Genevieve dropped her attention to her empty bowl.

"Yes, I recall saying that." His voice still had a breezy tone to it. Serious-minded Ray was yet to show up. Good.

"Sooooo..." The words were stuck in her throat and wouldn't come out, which was weird. Out of her six exes, Genevieve had asked out two, and it had been a breeze to do so. Why did it feel crazy hard to do the same now? Just do it, girl.

"I did say that, but don't—"

"Howaboutwedate?" Genevieve said, cutting off Ray's words.

"Huh?"

"Huh?" Genevieve cleared her throat. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. "You were saying something"

"Did you..."

Genevieve glanced at Ray's face. He was watching her with a confused frown. "I'm sure I heard..."

"No." Genevieve shook her head. There's no way he figured out what she said in a rush. She stood to take her bowl and spoon to the sink but paused when she noticed it.

A knowing smile replaced Ray's initial look of confusion. Propping his jaw on his closed fist, he watched Genevieve with a playful light in his eyes. "Miss Johnson, did you just ask me out?"

Genevieve internally collapsed under the crushing weight of mortification. She should have kept her bloody mouth shut.

***

Teddy was sitting on a park bench when Ada reached the Division. He had reverted to his usual style—leather jacket, jeans, and spikes. And he was wearing those atrocious high rockstar boots Ada disliked.

Releasing a long breath and gathering her arsenal for her defence, Ada strolled over. "Hey."

Teddy glanced her way and waved. "Hey."

Silence settled between them after Ada sat next to Teddy. The bench was new. "When was this installed?"

"Donno." Teddy shrugged. "Met it when I came over."

More silence. Ada stared at the blank wall in front of them. She had yet to begin her latest graffiti project. Maybe after she and Teddy settled things, she'd start with a sketch.

"I—"

"You—"

They both laughed. Teddy knocked his shoulder against hers. "You first."

Leaning against the backrest, Ada wove her fingers behind her head and sighed at the afternoon sky. "I'm sorry about the other day. When I get these ideas, I assume everyone I'm cool with should also be cool with them. Weird?"

"Nah," Teddy shook his head, his frizzy hair shifting with the action. "Sorry I yelled. Sometimes the Miff part of me just... poof."

Ada winced at the memory. Teddy had been crazy pissed at her. Raised voice and rants about how she flies into things without carefully thinking stuff through.