31

A R I A

I think it's been 6 days if I've counted correctly.

Having no windows, nobody that comes in, nothing to track the time, it makes it difficult. If I've counted correctly, my execution should be tomorrow. Tomorrow, everybody in the world who hates me will get to watch me die. Which is the entire world.

Now that I cannot save myself, I know that my time is truly limited. I've heard rumors in the distance of whoever works in this building. They say he's losing it. Burning down buildings, killing anybody he can, apparently the White House has been locked down. 

"Aw, you thinking of me, baby?" Atlantic smiles at me from across the room. 

I sit on the floor. It's covered in blood - my own from trying to get out of these chains. It's smeared everywhere. But even on the blood-stained floor, I smile as I see him. 

"I've missed you," my voice almost cracks. 

He stands up. I watch him in his dark clothing walk over to me, I feel more and more happy with each step taken. He kneels in front of me and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. He smiles at me as he says, "I've missed you too, little lamb."

With chains around me, he hugs me, I bury my face in the crook of his neck. His hand goes into my hair as he whispers in my ear, "You're so beautiful."

Covered in my own blood, in chains with messy hair, he still called me beautiful. I laugh out of happiness. I tell him, "I love you, Atlantic. I've missed your hair, your eyes, even my perfume that you wear."

I inhale, my face pressed against his neck. My eyebrows pull together.

I pull back, away from the hug. Atlantic looks at me strangely. He questions softly, "What's wrong?"

My eyes move around his face. I tell him, "I can't smell the perfume."

"Oh," he says. He pauses. "I must've forgotten to wear it today."

He smiles at me. But my face remains the same. 

Until it cracks.

"You're not real, are you?" I almost cry. My eyes burn as they fill with tears. 

And at that moment, as soon as the words leave my lips, Atlantic is gone. And Maria stands at my door. 

"Your resistance to the drugs, it is impressive," she says as I wrap my arms around my legs, bringing my knees to my chest as I cry. "That hallucination lasted only 5 minutes. The first time, it lasted over an hour."

I sob into myself as I place my forehead against my knees. This was the cruelest torture I could ever imagine. She forces me to see him, to hallucinate him, just to take him away from me. She takes my boy away from me. 

"Please, please I can't take it any longer," I cry. 

"Well don't worry, Aria, it won't last much longer," she says. I can feel her smile. "It's your execution day."

My head snaps up. With wet cheeks and red eyes, I look at her and her smile. I stutter, "W-what? I thought it was tomorrow, I thought I had another day."