The Game of Temptation ~16~

Start from the beginning

"And..?" I prompted, needing to know the end of that sentence.

Ren waited a little longer to finish, and I could see the inner fight with himself as he thought. Finally, he said, "And it was like every other time, Isa. Freaking hot as hell and enough to stay in my mind for days," he told me, looking me in the eye to show me he wasn't lying.

I let out a nervous breath, trying to stop my heart rate from increasing.

I failed, and hated how my body reacted to Ren. His words, his actions, everything he did somehow affected me somehow.

"So, what are you trying to say?" I asked, curiously. I wanted to be angry. I wanted to yell at him and fight until we had nothing left to say, but I couldn't find anything else to argue with right now. And I just couldn't when he was looking at me like... I didn't even know.

Ren sighed, messing his hair up slightly. "I'm saying that I liked it, and you. But I'm sorry. I'm not sorry the kiss happened, but I'm sorry for how, when, and why. I'm saying that I wouldn't take it back, even if I could, but that I'll back off. I'll punch a wall if I have to choose again, because I know Alex makes you happy. So I'll be your friend again, because I honestly love having you as a friend. If you forgive me, we can just leave this behind us."

And there it was. The apology I'd wanted. It had been perfect, too. Without a doubt, the best apology I'd heard.

"I'm sorry, too," I told him.

"Why?" Ren asked, looking confused.

"I could have pushed you off, or not kissed back. I should have done something, and I didn't. So, I'm sorry."

Ren laughed. "You couldn't have pushed me off. It's the Ren Michaels' charm." He winked, and I shoved him lightly.

"Shut up," I said, laughing.

And just like that, I knew we'd be OK.

"So, we're good?" Ren asked.

I looked at him, and nodded. "Yeah, we're good. Just don't kiss me again."

"Promise me the same thing, and we're friends," he countered.

I smiled at him. "I guess we're friends then."

He smiled back, and I saw his eyes light up. I hadn't even realized how dull they'd been before. Had I done that?

I couldn't tear my eyes away, and it seemed he couldn't either. His eyes bore into mine, trying to tell me something I couldn't decipher, but I could feel it inside me, telling my body to just go for him right then and there.

"So, how was your break?" He asked, as though needing the distraction.

I shook off the feeling, welcoming the unrelated conversation.

"It was... interesting," I summarized.

"Interesting?" Ren raised an eyebrow, as though telling me he knew there was more to it.

"Yeah, no other way to explain it. How was yours?" I asked, needing to get the attention off of me.

It was weird, but I felt almost guilty about what had happened with Alex. Like I'd cheated on Ren or something.

I shook it off. I had nothing to feel bad about. Alex was my boyfriend, not Ren.

"Boring, honestly. I didn't really do anything." Ren shrugged.

"What? No broken hearts left back home?" I joked, ignoring the stab of jealousy. I was going to get over whatever stupid feelings I had towards Ren. Which meant I'd have to get used to Ren sleeping with girls all the time.