The Hollowers (By Lady Eckland)

"In the whispers of the night, where shadows meld with the mist, there lies a truth so profound that only the heart can see it

"In the whispers of the night, where shadows meld with the mist, there lies a truth so profound that only the heart can see it. Maya, a mystery wrapped in the enigma of a forgotten time, stands at the threshold of our fears and fascinations, reminding us that sometimes, the most haunting tales are those left untold."

The amber liquid swirled hypnotically in Ethan's glass as he sat alone at the bar, lost in thought. He took a sip, feeling the smooth burn flow down his throat. It had been Maya's idea to meet here. She claimed this old tavern on the edge of town was haunted, with a history of patrons reporting unseen hands touching them, spectral voices whispering in their ears. Ethan smiled to himself, knowing he would likely have chosen the same location.

His fascination with the paranormal had led him down an isolated path. While friends enjoyed normal hobbies, Ethan spent hours poring over ghost stories and folklore, eagerly seeking out places reputed to be haunted. He absorbed tales of restless spirits, buildings inhabited by dark entities. Over time, he had amassed an extensive knowledge of the supernatural. But it was a lonely pursuit.

That's why Maya had seemed so promising. Her dating profile indicated a shared interest in "uncovering mysteries beyond the veil." They had messaged for weeks before deciding to meet in person. Ethan guessed Maya was not someone he could introduce to coworkers at the accounting firm. But for the first time, he'd found someone who just might understand him.

The creak of old wood made him turn. Maya stood in the doorway, backlit by the red neon sign. As his eyes adjusted, her features came into focus. Dark, penetrating eyes shone above elegant cheekbones. Her jet black hair fell in soft curls over her shoulders. She wore a vintage black dress, lace overlay clinging to her subtle curves. A blue crystal on a silver chain glowed at her neck. She looked to be in her late twenties, mysterious yet approachable. Ethan felt an immediate attraction as she strode toward him confidently.

"You must be Ethan," she said in a smooth, velvety tone. She extended her hand. An intricate eye was tattooed on the inside of her wrist, the dark pupil staring.

"I must be," he said, shaking her hand. Maya's grip was cold but firm.

She settled gracefully onto the stool beside him, turning to survey the dimly-lit room. Oil lamps on the walls cast dancing shadows across the worn floorboards and scuffed mahogany bar. "This place definitely has character...along with a few ghosts, I imagine," she mused.

Ethan smiled. "My thoughts exactly. I come here sometimes hoping to spot one. No luck yet unfortunately. What will you have?" 

Over the next hour, the conversation flowed easily between them. Maya told sinister stories of deceased patients sighted roaming the halls at the old asylum where she worked overnight as a nurse. Her descriptions were so vivid, Ethan felt transported there amongst the troubled souls.

In turn, he shared chilling local folklore and legends of haunted forests, estates concealing violent histories, and lovers separated by untimely deaths. Maya listened intently, dark eyes flickering with interest, drawing out every macabre detail.