After Hours (by Glenn Riley)

"The whispers about the ghost were a warning, but some warnings must be screamed to be heard

"The whispers about the ghost were a warning, but some warnings must be screamed to be heard...too late for Thomas."

Thomas had worked at the Edgemoore Manufacturing plant for nearly eight years. It wasn't the most glamorous job, but it had always paid the bills. It was in the grimy, industrial side of town, the brickworks blackened by decades of relentless industry. The factory floor was colossal, with rusted catwalks and machinery thrumming with bone-jarring rhythm.

But there was something more than industry and age haunting Edgemoore. Its corridors echoed with hushed whispers. Rumors – of an oppressive presence, a cold that had nothing to do with the drafty building. Workers swore they heard ghostly sighs slithering from the shadows, or glimpses of fleeting movement at the edge of their vision.  A specter was said to stalk the old factory, one the grizzled veterans of the plant spoke of with fear-filled voices.

Thomas had always smirked at their stories. A hard-headed realist, ghosts and ghouls weren't part of his vocabulary. That is, until a few weeks ago. Alone on the late shift, he felt a prickle against his skin. A sensation as if eyes, unseen, were fixed on the back of his neck. An ice-cold draft danced around him, and yet, not a single window or door was open. He'd turned, expecting to see one of his coworkers playing a prank...but found only the empty aisle.

Now, as another day drew to a close, Thomas watched his colleagues punch out. There was a nervous tension in the air, barely suppressed whispers carrying tales of that malevolent presence. He scoffed, "A load of nonsense," he declared a bit too loudly for comfort. His words were met with nervous side-glances, no one keen to argue.

The last coworker left, the slam of the factory door reverberating through the emptiness. Thomas took a deep breath, his usual smirk fading.  A tremor, not of cold but of unease, ran through him.  'No ghosts,' he repeated firmly to himself as he began the shutdown procedure. It was a mantra – his only defense against the creeping anxiety. He told himself his coworkers were simply a superstitious bunch, their minds easily misled by shadows and fatigue.

Still, an idea was forming as he finished his tasks. It began as a flicker of amusement, morphing into daring with each step. What if… What if he caught this ‘ghost’ on camera? It would make him a factory legend, the brave realist who had debunked their silly, fear-filled tales. It wouldn't even be hard. There were those new fancy video recorders his cousin was always going on about – small enough to hide, with night vision to catch even the subtlest movement.

A mischievous grin finally tugged at Thomas' mouth. It wouldn't just be a prank; it would be proof. An ironclad piece of evidence to shut down all those nervous whispers. Thomas felt a sense of purpose blooming in his chest – tonight, he wouldn't just be leaving work, he'd be starting a ghost hunt.