8: I, Horikita Suzune.

May 1st.

On this day, I expect the full truth of the S-system will be revealed, it was news that was bound to shake the worlds of the majority of class D's students.

"Oh Ayanokouji-kun! Good morning." Walking into the classroom, I was met by an enthusiastic greeting from one of the girls I periodically interacted with.

"Good morning, Mori." She was a fairly good looking girl, a member of Karuizawa's clique. I couldn't say we were close but we've had a few conversations.

She was currently surrounded by some other girls, some from Karuizawa's group and others that seemed more inclined to Kushida.

"Oh, it's Ayanokouji-kun. Good morning!" Kushida noticed me and spoke as well, followed by Satou Maya and Wang Mei Yu.

I responded to each of them and prepared to leave, but it seems they still had some things to say.

"Hey, Ayanokouji-kun. Did you receive any points today?" Kushida stopped me with her question.

The other girls looked expectant of my answer, I even noticed some of them clutching their phones in a subconscious act of desperation.

"No. I assume it's the same for you?" Hearing my answer, a blanket of worry and uncertainty covered the girls' countenances.

"Yeah, but it's fine! I'm sure it's a mistake by the school!" Kushida wasted no time in trying to cheer her friends up.

As expected of the angel...

Not entirely convinced but grateful for the attempt, the others heightened up.

"Hey hey Ayanokouji-kun, how well do you think you did in that test?" Mori tried to keep me from leaving, her eyes shone with a glint of mischievous intent.

I couldn't exactly say that I knew exactly what I would get in the test, I had a hunch that it would come off as weird.

"Pretty well, I think. Around 80?" Giving her the best answer I could, I watched the light in her eyes dim.

"Hmph, I expected a more bland answer. Now I can't tease you about your poor social skills."

Somehow she made it sound like I was at fault....

Am I being bullied?

Seeing my speechless expression, Mori laughed.

"I'm just pulling your leg, you barely stick around to talk. Try to stay in the conversation more, you know? Someone here would like that very much." She smiled as she spoke to me.

Kushida laughed as her eyes went in a direction that didn't escape my notice.

"Yeah, I'll try. It was nice talking to you, I'll be leaving now." I nodded and tried my best to convey my sincerity.

"Talk to you later, Ayanokouji-kun."

I made my way to my seat at the back of the class.

"It's finally happening." Horikita spoke to me as soon as I sat down.

"Yeah, you'll finally get the whole picture."

"You speak like you're not involved at all, like you already know what it is." Oddly, she didn't sound scornful while saying this. Seems like she's come to terms with the possibility that I had figured everything out.

"And what if I do?"

Horikita sighed.

"Good for you, I hope you're happy, basking in the ignorance of the masses."

There's no point continuing this conversation...

Slowly, the rest of the students arrived. The same question about points echoed around the room, everyone was confused and uncertain. Without really knowing it themselves, the reality of how ridiculous the point system was in the first place was dawning on them.