➤ Lonely Breakdown

TW: Breakdowns kinda, crying, sadness. Period typical attitudes and all that in the 1880's in London.

It's a bright and sunny day. Enola wakes up in the morning with the sun shining through her windows. She begins to dress and get ready in the morning, stepping out of the hall and going downstairs, where she sees her mother painting- likely flowers- on a canvas.

They exchange their usual morning greetings, and as the day goes on, Enola runs her business in London, as a perditorian. People love her, people believe she can solve their cases.

Her name is popular, and she's famous. As evening approaches, she's excited for the most amazing thing of them all- seeing her brothers, Sherlock and Mycroft, who are coming over for dinner.

As they come in, the family gathers around in the small space with a couch outside of Enola's bedroom. They play, they laugh, they don't- they don't judge. They are enjoying their time with each other.

But something feels... off. As Enola looks around once more, her brother's gazes seem more hardened and tense. And- and where did her mother go?! She isn't seated on the couch anymore. She just disappeared.

The brothers seem to be judging her up and down. This feels... so familiar. Mycroft is speaking. "You are a young woman now, Enola. You need an education."

Sherlock just sits quietly, his gaze lowered and he seems to be staring at the table.

She fights with Mycroft for a few minutes. And then she turns to Sherlock.

"Sherlock. Don't let him do this to me."

"You are his ward." His voice is... soothing as ever, but the words he says are not. She hates the way he manages to do this.

"Make me yours. Guide me. Teach me. For him, I am a nuisance. For you..."

"Enola. I'm sorry. It's out of my hands."

And then, everything seemed to spin. Mother, Sherlock, Mycroft. Mother. Where is mother?

She feels so dizzy, so scared, so... lonely. Then everything becomes black.

Enola wakes up with a gasp, sitting up instantly. She's sweating. It takes her a minute to take in her surroundings as she catches her breath, breathing hard. Once she's calmed down, she finds herself in this... disgusting, horrible finishing school room.

She's not home.

She will never be home.

As something cool touches her cheek, Enola realizes she's... crying.

She really thinks she can block it out. Come on, don't cry. Don't think about this, she says to herself.

But it doesn't work. The tears begin to come like waterfalls, and she finds herself becoming a sobbing mess.

Her mother left her. On her sixteenth birthday. She left her daughter, she left Enola to go and have her survive in this cruel, cruel world.

She met that "useless" boy on the train. She dismissed him. He doesn't matter anymore, she tells herself. He doesn't. He doesn't. She helped him escape. He should be safe now. He'll be fine.

Her brothers. Mycroft, who yelled at her in the cab. Who sent her to this horrible, torturous place. All because he cares so much about his pathetic image. Sherlock, who's always been so... helpless. For the great detective he's supposed to be, he really can't ever do anything, can he?! She's looked up to him for so much of her life, yet here he is, and she crumbles with his helplessness.

Here she is, at houseplant school 101, where they take your soul and individuality, and hollow you out. Make you "fit for society."

That night, Enola finds herself thinking over everything in her life. Her relationships, her family, everything.

And she realizes something.

She is truly, truly alone.

"You will do very well on your own, Enola."

No. No, she thinks, I'm not doing well.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

CHARACTERS
- Enola Holmes
- Eudoria Holmes (Mentioned)
- Sherlock Holmes (Mentioned)
- Mycroft Holmes (Mentioned)
- Lord Viscount Tewksbury (Mentioned)

A/N
How awesome to start off with such a... happy oneshot? Oops.

Well, whatever. This one just struck me as I feel Enola really pushed down a lot of emotions, and J wanted to really highlight and write about that. This is where it led to.

Sorry to put you all in the feels. Maybe we'll be goofy next time...

As always, thanks for reading! Leave a comment if you'd like, I enjoy reading them!