CCXX Shouto: Innocence

Trigger Warning: 

- stampede

- blood

_________________________________________________________

If there is one thing I'll acknowledge the villains for, it is their ability to cause mass chaos.

Sure, their brute strength, scary quirks, and radical ideologies are also sources of fear.

But the power to spread that fear into hordes of people ... only tyrants have that kind of power.

With each passing second, pandemonium ensues.

My classmates and I desperately try to guide the public to the transportation, but that comes with limited success. The civilians are understandably panicked. I don't think it helps that we are, too.

Old and young ... male and female ... everyone pushes against each other to be the first to board the shuttles. Those who are running in the middle of the road are shoved by those behind them. Sounds of bone snapping and subsequent cries echo off the walls of the remaining intact apartments as they get trampled over. Those who cling to the walls for support are not faring much better, either. Streaks of red mar the concrete where their bodies get pressed against it.

The little girl I had rescued treats me as her own support structure. She cannot possibly be more than six, yet this poor child has to witness something so horrific. Truly, humans are animals. Fear makes animals of us all.

The girl is incapable of turning away from the scene, despite how much it horrifies her. So I take it upon myself to shield her eyes. "We'll get you on a bus, safely. Okay?" I shouldn't have phrased that as a question. As a hero, I'm supposed to be the paradigm of confidence and strength. Doubt from me is the last thing a civilian needs. Even though in a situation like this, it's impossible to remain strong.

"My parents ..." she begins to weep. "I couldn't find them. They must be looking for me, too." And although my hand is still acting as a barrier between her and the disorder in front of us, she twists her head back in that direction.

I force her to face me again. "Your parents are okay," I say. God, how many lies do I have to tell this poor girl? "They must have gotten on a bus already and are heading to a safe place. You'll see them there. Promise."

"Do you think so?"

No. I have no freaking idea. But I can't tell you that. Not when your eyes are brimming with tremulous hope. For some reason, the emotion in them reminds me of another girl around her age. They look nothing alike. In fact, the other girl threw a temper tantrum because she believed I stole Selene from her. However, they possess the same sort of innocence. The one I never had. The one Selene was deprived of.

Shame on me if another kid has their childhood stolen from them.

Another untruth slips from my tongue. "I know so. Give me a sec." I rummage my pockets for the macarons that kind baker gave me. Sorry, Selene. You'll just have to try the desserts some other time. Thinking of those biscuits incites one more reason to feel guilty. I promised that man that his bakery would survive. Now it got destroyed in Shigaraki's decay earthquake. At least he gave me his business card. I'm going to help him rebuild it. Then I'll bring you over for a date, Selene.

Finally, I find the vanilla confections. Waving the pouch in front of her, I ask, "Do you like sweets?" If the way her eyes dart around, following the trajectory of the pouch, I think I know the answer. She nods vigorously, expression gleaming in anticipation. I pass the sweets to her. "By the time you finish the last bite, you'll be safely in your seat on the way to meet your parents."