chapter xxiv

January 17, 2016
"When your heart's on fire, you must realize –
Smoke gets in your eyes."

"Shit!" Kat runs her throbbing finger under the faucet, cursing strings of incomprehensible words under her breath.

"You good?" She turns to see Josslin peeking her head in the kitchen with concern plastered all over her face.

"What? Yeah, I'm fine." A wince hits at the unintentional sourness of the words that slip from her mouth.

Wordlessly, Josslin grabs the pot off the stove, straining the boiling water from the potatoes. She places it back on the burner and turns to look at the stress-ridden girl.

"Talk to me."

Kat sighs, tightening her loosening ponytail. "I didn't think this would stress me out as much as it is."

"You've never done this before, have you?"

"Done what?"

"Have your boyfriend meet your friends?"

"I've never had a boyfriend for them to meet." Josslin notices the nerves that have overtaken Kat's radiant demeanor in just a few short hours, even with her efforts of trying to hide it. She understands the uncharted territory that Kat is trekking, and while Josslin hates how it's affecting her dear friend, she can't help but feel fortunate that she gets to experience it with her after years of only knowing Single-Kat.

"Well... it's just me and Viviana. And we'll love him."

"And if you guys don't?"

"I guess you'll need new friends then."

Kats's lips creep up in a smile – she always admired Josslin's ability to make any perturbed situation slightly less unsettling.

"We could've just ordered in, you know"

Kat shrugs. "I guess I thought the cooking would help me relax."

Nodding, Josslin slowly starts to make her way out of the kitchen. "I'll go set the table–"

"No, let me do it, please."

"Alright then. I'll be in my room, but let me know if you need any help?"

"Thanks, Joss."

Kat knows Viviana and Josslin will love Spencer.

And she knows he will love them right back.

She realizes that it isn't that specific prospect that worries her, but rather the fact that the two biggest parts of her life will be bridged together. It's like her own personal Pandora's box being pried upon over pot roast and mashed potatoes.

There is also the fear of Celia walking through the front door during the allocated three-hour slot Kat planned, but based on Celia's habitual unknown absences, Kat knows the possibility is close to zero. Still, the thought of dealing with that elephant in the room on top of everything feels paralyzing.

For the time being, all she can really do is make sure that the broccoli sitting in the oven doesn't burn.

•     •     •     •     •