chapter x

September 19, 2015
"And I'll be the one who will love you, the way I'm supposed to."

"Kat! Wake up!" Are the last words Kat hears before being hit in the face by a pillow.

She groggily lifts up her head to see Josslin standing by the foot of her bed.

"What the hell?"

"Get up. It's almost eight." Josslin retorts before leaving the room.

Kat stuffs her head in her pillow and groans.

As they they do every weekend, Josslin and Kat planned on playing a game of tennis. Usually Kat's more than happy to get up, but with less than 3 hours of sleep, her body just doesn't want to function.

It takes nearly 10 minutes and two more threats from Josslin until Kat's
able to get herself out of her bed.

She struggles, but gains enough strength to peel her pajamas off and put on her white pleaded tennis skirt and a baby blue sweater.

When she grabs her bag, she remembers telling Spencer she'd call him. She figures he's up by now and dials his number.

It takes a couple of rings before she hears his groggy voice greet her.

"Hi! I didn't wake you right?" Kat asks.

"No, I've been up. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to let you know I got home safely and I'm definitely not hungover."

He gives a low chuckle. "That's good to hear, Katrina."

"Kat."

"Pardon?"

"Just call me Kat. The only person who really calls me Katrina is my mom, and she's not exactly my favorite person in the world."

Spencer keeps quiet, not really sure how to respond. "Oh, uh, well, I'm sorry about that."

If there's one thing that Kat loves most about Spencer is the way he gets flustered in an awkward situation. His little stutter, the flush of his cheeks, and the widening of his hazel eyes. Even though he's 33, he almost reminds Kat of a little kid. "No, it's fine."

"What are your plans for today?"

"I'm going to play tennis."

"That sounds like fun."

"Maybe if I actually slept last night. Anyways, I'll see you Monday."

"See you then, Katri- Kat."

Kat smiles. "Bye, Spencer."

Spencer hangs up and grins down at his phone.

"Kat?"JJ's voice nearly causes him to  jump out of the bed sheets.

"Oh my god, JJ!"

"Who is she?" She scoots Spencer over so she can sit beside him.

"Just a friend I met while getting coffee." JJ looks him straight in the eye. He already knows she's profiling him.

"By the way your voice went high and your pupils dilated, I'm going to have to call BS on that. Tell me about her." He figures JJ will find out sooner or later, so he spills everything.

"I'm not sure if we're officially together or not, but I really like her JJ. You know I don't believe in the whole true love thing, but she makes me feel some type of way. I, I can't even begin to describe it."

"Wow, Spencer Reid is for once lost at words. She must really be something then." She sees a flicker in his eyes. A flicker that she saw only once before.

"You have no idea. Just don't tell Garcia and Morgan. I don't really need their harassment right now."

"Your secret's safe with me. Will I meet this mystery girl soon?"

"I wouldn't count on it." JJ is about to protest, but Spencer cuts her off soon enough. "Is that waffles I smell?"

• • • • •

Kat and Josslin's game only lasts a good 30 minutes before Josslin feels the radiation of Kat's agitation

"Okay, okay! Stop whining, we'll eat." Josslin rolls her eyes.

A three minute walk takes place before the two walk into Blend. Joss orders a plain acai bowl and Kat the peanut butter jelly oatmeal.

As they eat, Kat looks up at Josslin and senses some type of tension in the air. She's about to ignore it until Josslin begins to speak.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something." Kat nods, her mouth full of the oatmeal. "So last night with AJ..." Kat nods again. "I heard her saying something about you and your professor?"

The color of Kat's cheeks turn from a golden tan to a dark crimson. "You know how she gets when she's drunk."

"You can trust me. I hope you know that, Kat."

"Yeah, of course I know that." Josslin stares at her, expecting Kat to continue talking.

"So?"

"So what?"

"So you're dating your professor then?" Kat thinks long and hard. Out of all three of her roommates, Josslin is definitely the most non-judgmental and trustworthy, and she can't keep everything about Spencer to herself. She's bound to tell someone, and it might as well be Josslin.

"You promise you won't say anything to anyone?"

Josslin anxiously nods. "Spill."

"Okay, we're not dating... yet. But he invited me to his apartment on Tuesday and, well-"

"Yeah, I kind of connected the dots there."

"Oh." Kat flushes once again. "I've never fallen so hard for someone before, Joss. Every time I see him, my mind goes crazy. I know it's bad, but I can't help my self. He's the nicest guy I've ever met, smart and gorgeous as hell, and he makes me melt every time he smiles. He's just so... you know. I don't know what's going on with me."

"I hate to tell you this, sweetie, but you you're falling in love." Kat already knows. Anyone past the 5th grade would be able to detect that.

"I know."

Josslin smiles. "Definitely did not see that one coming."

"Trust me, I'm just as surprised as you are."

"Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I will."

Author's Note
hey! I've noticed the story is moving really slowly. but I promise I'll pick it up after this chapter. I have so many ideas for this story and I can't wait to share them<3