Chapter 29 - Engagement announcement

Christmas is getting closer. To my delight, my aunt and cousins arrive at the palace. The more people to make Clarkson distance himself from me the better. Mom and I are in charge of welcoming them. I don't care about protocols and royal posturing when I see them come through the door, I run to hug Veronica and Caleb, and then to greet the others. I see Mom approaching to greet them too, with a smile on her face as she sees how happy I am to meet them again. She obviously knows how close I am to my cousins, as they're the closest thing to siblings (apart from Maxon) that I'll ever have. What's more, Mom is very close to Aunt Adele, so I know she's also very happy that her family is here.

We'll have a special lunch for their arrival, as well as a Christmas dinner. I want to take advantage of my family's arrival to introduce Celeste as my fiancée to Caleb and Veronica, the only ones who know about the two of us (apart from Leah, America, Clarkson, Maxon and my mother).

I exchange glances with Celeste during lunch, signaling her to come up to my room afterwards. Then I call Caleb and Veronica, who come up to my room with me after lunch. They don't seem to understand much. When we arrive Celeste is already there, sitting on the edge of the bed waiting for me. The three of them look confused. I pull Caleb and Veronica closer to Celeste.

"The reason you three are here is because" I turn to Celeste. "they're the only ones who know about the two of us, apart from other people." I turn to my cousins. "Caleb, Veronica, I know you technically already know Celeste, but I'd like to introduce you to my fiancée."

I hold out my hand to Celeste, then she takes my hand and stands up. I show them our engagement ring. The expression of shock quickly turns to happiness. Veronica and Caleb approach Celeste and hug her tightly.

"I can't believe it!" says Veronica. "Tell me everything!"

And then Celeste and I tell them everything that has happened since Veronica and Caleb came for the last time.

I spend the afternoon wandering around the palace with my cousins, while Celeste joins the Elite girls.

I'm excited for dinner time, at least until I get the news: America's father has passed away. Poor thing, Maxon had told me a little about how close America was to her father. As much as I don't understand what it's like to have a close father, I can imagine what she must be going through. Maxon informs us all over dinner that America will be leaving for her home tomorrow morning, to attend the funeral and spend some time with her family at this difficult time.

With America still gone the days go by, but it doesn't seem the same without her. As almost every night, I'm in my room when I hear Celeste knocking on the door. She soon enters, but I notice a strange look on her face, making me worry. I quickly get out of bed and go to her.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She holds my hands and looks me in the eye. "Your brother just stopped by my and Elise's room to announce that after America gets back, the engagement will happen. It'll be Kriss or America."

I widen my eyes in surprise. "What?" my brother did not tell me that.

"Do you know what that means, my love?" Celeste asks, her hands holding mine.

I answer her with tears in my eyes. "It'll be less time than we think before we finally stop hiding." I pull her into a kiss.

Needless to say, it is a night of celebration.

The girls who took part in the Selection return to the palace to attend the engagement. I'm with all of them in the Women's Room, waiting for America to arrive.