Chapter 23 - Illéa's Heir

I'm woken up in the middle of the night. I open my eyes slowly, still sleepy.

"What's wrong?" my voice is hoarse.

"Your High..." I hear Stella's voice. "I mean, Kat. The prince has asked me to wake you. Your presence is requested."

I'm worried, I don't remember my presence being requested at a time like this, unless it was because of some rebel invasion.

Stella helps me put on my shoes and a robe, and then walks with me down to where Maxon is. When I get to the ground floor, where my brother is, I see him talking to a guard, and next to him I see America. Very strange. What business does my brother have with me in the middle of the night without the king and queen and with America?

"What happened?" I ask worriedly.

America and he turn to me. She looks equally worried, without understanding anything.

"There are rebels in the palace." says Maxon.

"What?" I say, even more worried.

"Why aren't we hiding?" asks America.

"They're not here to attack." he tells us.

"Then why are they here?" I ask.

"It's only two rebels from the Northern camp. They're unarmed, and they're specifically asking to speak to me, you... and to America."

Then a guard leads us to where the rebels are waiting for us. I see a man and a woman.

"We've come to speak to you in peace," says the man. "We are unarmed, and your guards have searched us. I know asking for privacy would be inappropriate, but we have things to discuss with you that no one else should hear."

Maxon orders the guards to bring a table and chairs so we can discuss whatever they want.

"Don't you think introductions are in order?" the man asks.

Maxon is the first to extend his hand and introduce himself. "Maxon Schreave, your sovereign."

The man holds back his laughter. "Honored, sir."

"And you are?" my brother asks.

"Mr. August Illéa, at your service."

What?!

Maxon, America and I look at each other.

"You heard me right. I'm an Illéa. And by birth, too. This one will be by marriage sooner or later,"

"So Father was right." says Maxon. "He said you'd come for the crown one day."

"I don't want your crown," August assures us.

"Good, because I intend to lead this country," says Maxon. "I've been raised for it, and if you think you can come in here claiming to be Gregory's great-great-grandson"

"I don't want your crown, Maxon! Destroying the monarchy is more up the Southern rebels' alley. We have other goals."

August is the first to sit down, and then he silently asks us all to sit down.

Again Maxon, America and I look at each other.

"I can't begin to imagine what you want from me. It seems you made a point to come while the palace was asleep, and I'm guessing you'd like to keep this visit as secretive as possible. Say what you must. I can't promise to give you what you want, but I will listen." says Maxon.

"We've been looking for Gregory's diaries for decades. We knew they existed long ago and had a recent confirmation from a source I cannot reveal."

Maxon and I look at America. August looks at her too. "It wasn't your presentation on the Report that gave it away, just so you know."