Chapter 9 - Arrival of the families of the Selected

Now that I've made things clear with Celeste, even though we're not officially together, I'm more relieved that she reciprocates my feelings. But now I no longer have any real excuse not to tell Maxon everything, except that with the Halloween rush, and with my thoughts mostly on Celeste, I may have forgotten to talk to my brother.

Monday I spend the whole morning with the Selected and my mother tasting food to be approved for the party menu. Whenever I can, I discreetly glance at Celeste, admiring her beauty. What bothers me is that in the afternoon Celeste and Maxon go on a date, and I'm jealous and envious at the same time, even though it's not either of their fault, Celeste has to pretend to still be competing for my brother, and Maxon has no idea about the two of us, I can't contain my feelings, and I'm envious because I want to have all this freedom that my brother has to be able to go on a date with her, I want to be in his place.

I would have remembered to tell Maxon everything if I hadn't been distracted by my relatives who arrived on Tuesday, including Veronica and Caleb. It's a relief to be able to distract myself from all this for a little while. I think I'd love to see the Selection up close and get to know the Selected, but I never imagined the stress it would be to fall in love with one of the girls and have to hide it, at least with Veronica and Caleb I can be honest.

Just after breakfast, my two cousins and I are sitting on the sofa looking out of the window, watching Maxon giving Kriss an archery lesson.

"I kissed Celeste." I say quickly.

Both of them immediately look at me with wide eyes of surprise.

"How?" Ronnie asks.

"When?" Caleb asks.

I sigh and then tell them everything. "There was another rebel attack a few days ago, in the hiding place, down in the basement, everybody was so distracted by the sound of gunshots, and the shaking of the walls, that they didn't pay attention to the two of us. We were in a corner, she was very scared, and then we kissed. It was just a peck on the lips."

"And does your brother know? Has anyone found out? What will happen now?" Caleb asks quickly.

"No and no. Well, no one saw us, if that's what you meant to ask, but I told my mother afterwards. And mom advised me again that I should tell Maxon everything as soon as possible, but I wanted to clear it with Celeste before I could tell my brother what I want. Then a few days ago after dinner, I called her to talk to me in my room." I am interrupted by Ronnie.

"And?!"

"She likes me too. She said that she came here just to compete for Maxon, but that I made her change her mind. After that we kissed." I say, and when I remember our kiss I smile slightly and my cheeks turn slightly red.

Caleb has a mischievous smile on his face. "I guess it wasn't just a quick peck, was it?"

"No..." I chuckle, embarrassed that he noticed. "We did nothing but kiss, if that's what you mean, but it was a very steamy make-out session..."

Even if I had remembered to talk to Maxon, I wouldn't have been able to spend enough time with him to tell him everything I needed to. He barely showed up during that week before the party, he was always very busy, so obviously he didn't have time to talk to me.

The day has come for the families of the Elite girls to arrive at the palace. My parents can't welcome them, but Maxon and I welcome them instead.

To wear, I choose a baby pink dress with several layers, the sleeves almost falling off my shoulders. And for my hairstyle I choose a simple braid.

We both wait with the Selected girls for the families to arrive.

"They have arrived!" I hear someone say.

"Very well, ladies!" Silvia, our etiquette instructor in charge of the Selected, says. "Time for some manners! Butlers and maids, near the wall, please."

I know that none of them will obey Silvia, they haven't seen their families for so long that it's almost impossible for them to stay once they see them.

The first families to enter are Kriss and Marlee's, both of whom run up to them. When it's Celeste's parents' turn, I see that they are more subdued when they see their daughter, she leaves the line where the girls are and goes to hug her parents. Celeste is almost a copy of her father.

I see everyone gathering around, if I hadn't been trained to mask my emotions in public, I would have cried of joy at seeing the families reunited.

"May!" I hear America's voice calling for her sister.

The girl looks just like her older sister.

"Ames! I can't believe it!" May says, as the two embrace. "You look so, so beautiful!"

While America and the others talk to their families, I pass by each one to say hello. Elise, Kriss, Marlee, Natalie, and then I go to Celeste's family.

"Your Highness," her parents say as they see me.

I extend my arm and greet Celeste's father first, then her mother, with a huge smile on my face as I meet them.

"Your Highness is even more beautiful in person, if I may say so." Celeste's mother compliments me.

I blush slightly and glance at Celeste, smiling.

"Thank you very much, Ms. Newsome." I thank her compliment.

Then, as I look around the palace, I see Maxon talking to America's family, after which he climbs a few steps up the stairs to speak.

"I would like to thank you all for coming. We are very happy to welcome you to the palace, not only to celebrate the first Halloween in Illéa after decades, but also to get to know each other. I am sorry that my parents could not greet you as well. You will meet them soon. Elite mothers, sisters and girls are invited to have tea with my mother and sister this afternoon in the Women's Room. Your daughters will know how to lead them there. As for the gentlemen, they can smoke cigars with my father and me. We will ask a butler to take you, so that no one need fear getting lost. The maids will escort you to the rooms that you will occupy during your stay. They will also dress you appropriately for the visit and the party tomorrow night."

Maxon and I get out of there, giving a nod of our heads before we leave.

The Selected are all in good spirits. I notice that Natalie's sister and America's sister are getting on well, they both look the same age. I stop to chat with the mothers of each of the girls, and my mother does the same. Then I join the girls and leave my mother to talk to the other mothers.

I sit next to Celeste on the same sofa, and as we're both wearing long dresses, I slip my arm around her waist discreetly, without the other people being able to see. Meanwhile, the other Selected sit next to us, all talking to each other.

My afternoon is quiet and I can spend all of it with Celeste. Right after dinner, I head for my room, and when I hear footsteps a little behind me, I know who it is. I invite her in, and just like the other night, I spend a long time lost in her lips. When Celeste leaves to go to sleep, I can see in the mirror how red and swollen my lips are. Tomorrow will be a great day, I'm sure the party will be incredible.