Chapter 22 - Loss

As soon as the attack passes we learn that Maxon was safe in another shelter, one for employees, just like America. Mom is the first to leave the shelter, going straight to her room in a state of hysteria.

When I get to my room I see that surprisingly things seem to be in order, well, everything except Leah. She has puffy eyes, she's hiding her crying.

"What's wrong, Leah?" I ask worriedly.

She doesn't seem to be able to answer because she's still holding back her tears. It's at this moment that I notice something.

"Where is Aria?"

It is with this question that Leah can't hold back her tears and collapses on the floor, sobbing so hard. Then I realize what happened. My mouth hangs open, and then I cover my mouth with my hands in disbelief. I feel tears forming in my eyes, but I try to hold on for Leah. I offer her my hand to get up. She gets up with my help and then I pull her into a tight hug. We both allow ourselves to cry.

I hesitantly go to the next meal with everyone. Leah helps me get ready in silence. It's hard to say anything when you feel the weight of Aria's absence so strongly. I feel like I've lost a sister, and I'm sure Leah feels the same way. I know that in a few days, maybe less, Aria's role will be replaced by another maid, but deep down I don't want that to happen, even though I know it will be necessary, because Leah can't do all the work herself.

I go down to the dining room, where everyone is already. I'm the last to arrive. I quietly make my way to my seat and sit down, ignoring the worried looks from Mom, Celeste, Maxon, and even the other Selected. They probably don't know what happened to Aria. I even feel Clarkson's gaze on me, but it's a look of curiosity not concern.

Mom and Maxon try to talk to me over breakfast, but I just shake my head, not wanting to talk to anyone at the moment. I, like everyone else, eat in silence. I'm the first to leave, and as I get up and walk towards the door, I feel someone following me.

When I'm in the corridors of the palace, just outside the dining room, I look back and see my mother with a look of extreme concern.

"I know that last night I should have reacted differently, done something," Mom starts to say. "but I was totally frozen by fear instead of putting my children first. Forgive me, dear."

I nod, holding back tears. "What happened?" she asks.

I take a deep breath and my mother comes closer to dry the tears that have fallen. "Aria, one of my maids, she..." I can't finish the sentence, I choke on a sob, but I realize that my mother understands what I mean.

She quickly pulls me into a hug. "I'm so sorry. I know how much you cared for her."

That day I spend the rest of the time in my room, with only Leah with me. I eat lunch in my room and insist that Leah does the same. At some point in the afternoon Maxon pays me a visit and I explain the situation. In the evening I have dinner in my room. Soon after dinner it's Celeste's turn to visit me. We sleep cuddled up to each other.

The next day I wake up and, surprisingly, Celeste is still lying in my bed, asleep. Shortly afterwards she wakes up, gives me a kiss and then leaves. I'm counting the days until she doesn't have to do that anymore, so that we don't have to hide our relationship. Her presence is replaced by Leah, who enters my room with a sad expression on her face.

"Kat," she says to get my attention. "it seems that other girls have already been found to take her place." She can't speak Aria's name out loud. "They're out there to meet you so they can get to work straight away."