C199: The Three Great Troops of Great Tang

Start from the beginning

In the past few decades of trade between Great Tang and the rest of the world, the Eastern and Western Turkic Khaganate had accumulated a massive pile of top-notch metal, arrows, and armors.

Such a long period of time was sufficient for them to craft a huge quantity of armor and sharp arrows.

Even though Wang Chong had already advised Elder Ye and the others regarding the usage of using tariffs to control the flow of metal, there was nothing they could do about those the resources had already been transported out of Great Tang’s borders.

“Everyone has just enlisted into the camp. Zhao Qianqiu is probably intentionally leaving this issue out so as to prevent fear and panic!”

Wang Chong thought. In truth, he couldn’t tell whether this was good or bad.

“… But the only ones who could deal with master archers are master archers themselves. Thus, the empire has always valued the grooming of master archers!”

Zhao Qianqiu continued.

“Strength, speed, and dexterity. Those are the three main classifications of martial arts. If dexterity grants one aptitude for archery, speed would correspond to cavalry then.”

Zhao Qianqiu said as he walked toward another giant training ground. Several fully-armored examinees could be seen riding taking turns riding two valiant black war steeds, and the wind whistled as they galloped to and fro the area. On the training ground, there were various obstacles such as wooden stakes and formations.

These few people had to travel along the narrow spaces between the wooden stakes, but even so, their speed didn’t fall by the least.

Held in the hands of the riders were wooden swords which they jabbed the wooden stakes with relentlessly as they passed them by. Every single one of their stabs would accurately strike the vitals on the wooden stakes.

“Seems like there are many good buds in Kunwu Training Camp!”

Standing by the perimeter of the training ground, Zhao Qianqiu saw an examinee stabbing accurately on every wooden stake from the same angle on the same location and complimented.

“There are two main advantages to a mount—greater mobility and enhanced strength from the momentum of a charge!”

Zhao Qianqiu suddenly gestured to another instructor on the training ground and the latter replied with a chuckle.

“Zhao Qianqiu, I’ll just say it first. This stone is mine so you better carry one up to replace it by tonight!”

“Cut the nonsense, are you doing it or not?”

Zhao Qianqiu reprimanded jokingly. Clearly, the two of them were close to one another.

“Fine, on the account of your students, I’ll give in to you this once!”

The latter gestured helplessly. Then, taking off his helmet, he slowly aimed his spear at a specific direction.

The group turned in the direction at which the spear was aimed for, and at around fifty zhang away, a massive rock possessing the height of two men towered.

(~150m)

“Heavy! This must be Xuanwu rock. It probably weighs four thousand to five thousand jin!”

(~2500-3000kg)

Wang Chong roughly estimated the weight of the boulder. He had already noticed it when they had just arrived earlier, but thinking that it was just an ornament, he didn’t pay it any heed then.

But from the looks of it now, it seemed to be a dummy for the training of the cavalry!

Boom!

Seated on the back of an armored steed, the instructor was dressed in a heavy black armor and an aura of menace crept forth from him. At this instant, he felt like a demon who had just crawled out from hell.