Chapter 20- Reconnect

Chapter 20

"What if Ye Zhidong isn't the mole?"

"?"

Lan Wangji looked over. They are sitting at home, in the living room with documents strewed all over the couch, courtesy of Wei Wuxian. The omega held a paper over his head, his ankles crossed in front of him, and he stared up at the paper, humming, "I'm just thinking, it doesn't really make sense for Ye Zhidong to be the mole, you know?"

"..." Lan Wangji slowly nodded. Wei Wuxian dropped his arms and looked over at the alpha who was sitting in the middle of the couch by the coffee table with papers neatly stacked in a pile with not a single sheet poking out. Wei Wuxian pursed his lips, amused, and said, "Yeah, so about Ye Zhidong... I'm not saying he's not suspicious, he definitely is but... he might not be the culprit."

"..." Lan Wangji understood what Wei Ying was saying. He slowly said, "Ye Zhidong is a department leader."

"Mhm! And department leaders are offered incentives from the company. Betraying the Jiang Group would mean betraying themselves," Wei Wuxian finished for him.

"So!" Wei Wuxian jumped up from the couch and started walking back and forth, the wheels in his brain reeling. "So, Ye Zhidong is already on top of the food chain. Then why would he risk it all to leak the bidding project to another company? It wouldn't make sense. If Jiang Group ends here, it'll take him a while to climb back to the top in another company. And it's not like he could work for Hongye's Real Estate- or else everyone would know he was the mole!" Wei Wuxian spun to face Wangji and pointed at him.

"..." The younger jade watched and listened attentively.

"So then it couldn't be him or the other department leaders..." Wei Wuxian mused to himself. "And if it couldn't be them... Hey, Lan Zhan, besides the department leaders themselves, are there other employees who have access to secrets from the decision-makers?"

It took a moment before Lan Wangji spoke, "Assistants."

"I'm on it!" Wei Wuxian dove back onto the couch, tossing papers everywhere. "We are geniuses!"

"...mn."

*********************************************************************

"So you are telling me Ye Zhidong has been hiring unqualified employees behind my back?"

"Yes, and we have proof," Jiang Cheng said confidently.

"Is he the mole?" Yu Ziyuan asked.

"...no." Jiang Cheng frowned. "I don't believe so."

Yu Ziyuan sighed. She stood up and walked to the windows before turning to her son again, "Today's almost over. You have two days left to find the mole."

"..." Jiang Cheng practically withered like a sad plant under her gaze. Lan Xichen felt miserable for him and spoke up, "And we will find the mole, Ms. Yu."

"Oh?" Yu Ziyuan walked back to her desk and signed a document, handing it to Huizhen who was standing there. Huizhen bowed his head and left the room. She watched him and was that a hint of fondness in her gaze? Jiang Cheng felt irked.

"If only you were half as good as him," she said, almost to herself.

"What's so good about Hui-ge?" Jiang Cheng blurted out despite himself. Lan Xichen inwardly agrees. What's so good about that guy? Wanyin was a million times better.

"Well he doesn't run away because he's a coward," Yu Ziyuan snapped.

Jiang Cheng withered again.

Yu Ziyuan continued, "And I personally mentored him myself. He has been a diligent and efficient worker since the beginning. Dutiful and honest. I can't say that about somebody else." Yu Ziyuan stared sourly at Jiang Cheng.