Deep Trouble

"What did Bobby say?" Sam asked when Dean got into the driver's seat.

"He's got the key," Dean explained. "He said it's safe."

"And he's sure?" Ryder asked, his skepticism obvious.

"Yes, he's sure," Dean fired back at him in a mocking tone. "Bobby's an old friend of the family. If he says it's safe then it's safe."

"So we're going straight to him?" Miles asked.

"Not yet," Sam answered from the passenger seat. "Vampires first."

Ryder bit his tongue, though he was tempted to speak up about the urgency of the key. "As long as your sure that Bobby can handle himself."

"Don't worry about Bobby," Dean replied. "He's an old dog but he can handle himself."

"So could Uncle Julian," Miles said, his voice edged with skepticism.

"Your uncle didn't exactly have the luxury of knowing that a demon was going to pay him a visit," Sam calmly explained. "How is he, by the way?"

"He's recovering," Miles said with a grateful smile. "He's pissed though. He wishes he was hunting with us."

Dean put the key in the ignition and looked over his shoulder. "I hope the two of you are ready to hear the most beautiful sound in the world." With that, he fired up the Impala's engine, allowing it to roar loudly.

"I'm waiting?" Ryder said with a smirk.

Dean looked over his shoulder and scowled. "Seriously? Listen to her purring."

"Her?" Ryder asked, an eyebrow raised.

Sam looked over at Dean and smiled as he waited for the inevitable.

"Listen, sport, this happens to be one of the finest machines on God's green earth."

"If you say so," Ryder said. "Just sounds like a lot of noise to me."

Dean reached out and patted the dashboard. "Don't listen to him, Baby. He didn't mean it." Then he turned on the stereo and the opening acoustic guitar of "Crazy on You" by Heart began to play.

"At least your taste in music is good," Ryder said. "The Wilson sisters are amazing."

"Right?!" Dean exclaimed. He shifted into drive and began to play air guitar on the steering wheel as he peeled out.

During the drive north, Dean made sure to show off the Impala's power, navigating with all the expertise of a man who who knew his way around a car. He moved through traffic with the skill and daring of a race car driver. As he drove, Ryder noticed the carefree and boyish look of joy on his handsome face. His stomach flipped when Dean caught him looking in the rear view and gave him a cheeky wink.

"So, during all your training back in the day did you two ever kill a vampire?" Sam asked.

"We didn't," Miles admitted. "But they taught us a lot about them."

"When we get to Evansville, the two of tin are staying in the car while we handle the nest," Dean said.

"We can handle ourselves," Ryder said, his determination flashing

"I'm sure," Dean teased. "Listen- this isn't finishing school for hunters. This is serious shit. It's safer if we deal with it, okay?"

They drove on without another word for some time before Sam looked back and asked the cousins about their family history.

"The Remington family has been hunting demons and protecting Belle's Crossing for centuries," Miles explained. "It started when demons were terrorizing the village. Some angels came down from heaven to do battle with them. In the middle of it all, our ancestors- twin sisters Magdalena and Rose- were the only humans who didn't flee. They'd told their ground and fought back however they could to defend their people. The angels were so impressed with their bravery that they blessed them with two holy weapons."