Chapter 2: Dinner with Shu

The pangs of hunger are a formidable foe, especially when you're confronted with the bleak possibility of satisfying it. The Doctor had been holed up in his office for several consecutive operations, with no time to rest or even grab a bite to eat. His stomach was growling, his legs had gone numb, and his concentration was waning. His eyes kept drooping, flickering, and finally closing, betraying the exhaustion that had settled into his frail body. He was in dire need of sustenance to replenish his dwindling energy and restore his flagging strength.

As he sat in his living room, engrossed in paperwork, he was suddenly startled by the sound of loud chatter that suddenly arose outside his doorstep. The noise seemed to be growing louder and closer by the second, causing his heart to race with anticipation and curiosity. He strained his ears to try and make out what was being said, but the words were muffled and indistinct.

It was then that he heard the sound of careful and deliberate footsteps approaching from a distance. The footsteps grew louder and louder until they were right outside his door. The shadow of a person was cast underneath the door frame, looming ominously in the silence of the room.

Just as he was about to call out and ask who it was, three sharp and unmistakable knocks shattered the enveloping silence. His mind raced with possibilities —who could it be? What could they want? With a deep breath, he waited in his seat.

The shadows cast by the setting sun had crept up to the doorstep of the Doctor's office, as if hesitant to intrude. The Doctor let out an exasperated sigh, his concentration broken by the impending interruption.

Reluctantly, he called out, "Come in!" His voice was tinged with irritation, belying his professional demeanor.

As if on cue, the shadows dispersed and revealed the silhouettes of two familiar people and one unknown figure. The Doctor strained his eyes to make out their features through the protective visor of his mask, his hunger pangs from missing lunch only adding to his discomfort.

Nian walked into the Doctor's office with a confident grin on her face. As soon as she saw him, she flashed a teasing expression and her eyes wandered all over his upper body.

"Yo, Doctor! Been a while."

He couldn't help but feel a bit flustered by her gaze but quickly composed himself. Clearing his throat, he greeted her, trying to hide the hunger he was feeling.

"Welcome back to Rhodes Island, Nian," he said.

"So... Doctor—"

Dusk pulled her arm, causing Nian to almost trip.

"Doctor... I'm home." Dusk flashed a sweet smile towards the Doctor.

Seeing her face like that made him blush a bit, he nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"Welcome back, Dusk."

"Hey! What was that for?!"

Nian's fiery attitude was tuned up a notch, her eyes glared at Dusk.

"What was what? I was just greeting the Doctor." Dusk returned the glare.

"My, my, stop fighting you two. Must you always settle every argument with a physical skirmish?"

The Doctor's eyebrow raised at the unfamiliar voice of the woman behind the two.

The two siblings suddenly turned their heads towards the woman behind them.

"Big sister..." Nian sheepishly rubbed her neck.

"Hmph..." Dusk crossed her arms.

This was not how Nian would usually act, the Doctor noticed. Perhaps this sibling of theirs has quite the power to be able to quell Nian and Dusk's usual attitude.