Detroit (Part 2)

"Austin this is a bar."

"You said you wanted to see the shops."

"Again. This is a bar."

"Is it? Or is it just a shop that sells liquor?"

Delta stares at him while he stands with that stupid grin on his face that could melt rock while he holds the bar door open. She would love to climb into his brain and figure out how he thinks. He can turn any situation in his favor and always lands on top. It's a skill. It's late morning and she knows even though she is giving him grief right now she will accept his logic and follow him into the bar, she will have a drink too and his carefree attitude will make her feel like it's ok.

"Fine, but I am having a coffee only," she says stepping through the bar doors. Why is this place even open at this time? It was a dumb question, her answer is right in front of her as she scans the bar to see about ten people all clearly trying to deal with their drinking problems as they lean over their beers. "Rosé is a morning drink," Austin says as he walks past her to the bar, greeting people as if he has been here before. He doesn't even have to talk to anyone to give off the impression that he already owns the room. "How is Rosé a morning drink?" she asks following him and sitting down next to him at the bar.

"It's light pink."

"That...that's not a thing, Austin."

"I disagree," he says then turns to the bartender,  "two glasses of Rosé my good man."

The bartender doesn't frown or show his disapproval of their early drinking, he just turns and gets their drinks ready. "So by your logic the lighter the drink the earlier you can have it?" she asks. She is trying to understand him.

"Yes."

"So red wine is a late-night drink?"

"Yes."

"So what is white wine?"

"White is something you drink when you are eating fish."

He said that as if it was just a well-known fact and she should already know it. It is true, fish is well paired with white wine but in the context he is using it in it makes no sense. He is so hard to keep up with. "Vodka! That's colorless," she says trying to poke at his logic.

"It's made from potatoes. Lunchtime drink."

"Beer! It comes in a range of colors from really light to black."

"You are getting it now, baby. You want a morning beer?"

"No. That's not what I meant...there is no such thing as a morning beer."

"I disagree."

"But, why? Why do you disagree?"

"Because it's morning and we are drinking this Rosé," he says lifting his glass and taking a sip then humming at how good it is. At this point, Delta's head is spinning. Austin never uses logic in an argument, not because he is stupid but because to him it's way more fun to spew utter bullshit and still come out on top. It scares her a little to think what he would be like if he did use facts. The man would be unstoppable. He already is to be fair.

"There is not a drink in history that is seen as an acceptable morning drink," she blurts out. She does not if that's true, but if he can make up bullshit on the spot then so can she. "Mimosa," the bartender says suddenly. Delta frowns at him while Austin grins and high-fives him as if he is his new best friend. "Mimosa is champagne and orange juice and has been an acceptable morning drink for generations. It's a staple in many countries," the bartender adds proudly as he leans on the bar next to Austin. "I know what a mimosa is," Delta snaps. It's infuriating that Austin doesn't even have to try and win an argument - his minions have his back. "Now that, that has been laid to rest please excuse me while I make a few phone calls," he says and walks off to a booth.