Chapter 24

Hu Tao seemed to never stop talking during the whole trip, making sure not to use the Waypoints to the main city as [Name] dragged behind her sluggishly. As nice as it was to not have to do the talking, the poor Creator was begging for some type of silence for even a moment. The city has never been so adored until now, forcing the Creator to quicken their steps towards the entrance as Hu Tao skipped behind them. "I told you~" She teased the guards at the gate, giving a cheeky wave as she chirpily held the bounce in her step by their side once the two stepped onto the wooden bridge and carried them towards the centre of the city, a few steps from Mingxing Jewellery.

But man, the stares seemed worse for some reason. Instantly dropping their gaze to the ground, [Name] refused to meet anyone's gaze as Liyue buzzed in excitement that overshadowed the shame of the city. A multitude of whispers, whether they were good or bad, that they despised. Whispers meant rumours, talking badly about someone or at least something that they don't want people to hear and it was terrifying. Especially considering their last appearance wasn't welcomed. And their appearance now...? They shrunk into themselves as they recalled their reflection: the messy clothes with rips and tears, stains of golden in the cloth and their skin and they probably looked like a wild animal cornered after a chase. To put it simply: they looked like they should be a part of Hu Tao's career. "Tao..." The Funeral Parlor Director turned her head towards the timid deity, tilting her head with a beam.

"Hm~? Somethin' on your mind~?" The Pyro user faltered ever so slightly as she caught onto their discomfort, clearing her throat and stepping forward to be the centre of the crowd's attention. "Here ye', here ye'!" She projected her voice, placing her hands on her hips as she held the crowd. "Now, this isn't a very warm welcome! All of the plans of the festivities was just the bare minimum and you're all ogling the poor thing like they're a part of Wuwang Hill!"

I mean, I do kinda fit the theme...

"Shoo!" She waved her hands, never once dropping her grin as the crowd stared at her in displeasure. "Go on~! Rather than whisper secrets to the wind, how about we let the higher ups know of this honour~? Unless~!" She teases, winking playfully as she brings a hand to her lips to cover the mischievous grin forming. "Yoh? Seems like you're all itching to hear about a curse I found!" She giggles into her palm as the crowd finally disperses, hesitant to hear the shenanigans Hu Tao had up her sleeve: assuming everyone would be the victim to a curse she'd set.

Only a few stayed, one of them being the Director's assistant. A deep chuckle escaped from the retired Archon, stepping down the staircase from the storyteller he had been listening to. "A fine protector you are, Director." He held his hands behind his back as he watched with golden eyes, dipping his head politely towards [Name] once Hu Tao hopped back to their side. "Creator," he greeted, "it's a pleasure to speak with you."

Hu Tao let out a simple giggle, "Mr. Zhongli~! Hey, hey~ I told you that the Creator likes me!" She boasts, ignoring the small strain of his expression, as she hastily grabs [Name] by the arm: startling them for a second as their heart tries to settle from the attention on them. "And I was indeed correct about the fact they're not too fond about any festival for them!" Agreeing with her, [Name] nods their head to prove her point as she beams.