Season 3 Episode 4: Thicker Than Water

Start from the beginning

"You tried to help me. Yeah? Let me help you." Javier said. "You really want to help? Alright. Drive me down to the recruitment office next week." David said. "The army?" Javier asks. "My job sucks. Kate and I fight like cats and dogs. I belong back in the army. I had a purpose there. I had respect." David said. "Last time you deployed, you didn't have kids. So, whatever you do now, you gotta put them first." Javier said. "I am putting them first. That's why I have to leave. Things between me and Kate have been going downhill for a while. But if I left... seems like that would be best for everyone. I can't keep pretending this is the life I want. Not anymore." David said.

"I'm not gonna stand in your way." Javier said. "Well... alright, then. I'm not gonna lie. If I go, it's gonna be hard on everyone. Kate may need help from time to time. You can help, right? You won't leave her hanging? I need to know that. In my mind." David said. "I'll be there for them since you won't. If you want to go, you should go." Javier said. David will remember that. "Thank you. I really mean it." David said. "We good?" Javier asks. "Yeah, we good. Come on. Let's get outta here. I'll buy you a beer." David said.

QUARANTINE

Third POV

New Frontier soldiers bring Javi and David to the quarantine area. "Get in there!" Rufus said. "I let you go on the road, remember? Can't you help us now?" Javier asks. "Course I remember. It's why I haven't shot you already! That's how I'm helping you!" Rufus said. "Joan's making a huge mistake." David said. "No, you made a mistake when you tried to attack her!" The Frontier Soldier said. Clint approaches the group. "Hey! Everybody just take a breath, alright?" Clint asks. "I was just trying to tell them--" Javier said. "And that's your mistake, right there. You can't fight everybody. Understand that Joan's not looking for revenge. She just wants order. Cooperation is the name of the game. There's still a way through this. But you've got to let Joan enforce the laws." Clint said.

"You do anything she tells you to do, huh? Go along with whatever she says, just to keep your place." Javier asks. Clint will remember that. "It's not like that. Joan's got a tough job. She needs all our help to keep this place safe. You boys want to make it out of here? Just relax and trust in the process." Clint said. The New Frontier closes the door and leaves. "After I brought you in... After I saved your asses, this is how you treat me? Betrayal? Lies?" David asks. "It was too risky to stay. I was trying to keep Kate safe!" Javier said. David will remember that. "I had a plan for that. You fucked it up! Do you see what Joan's doing?! This is a power grab, pure and simple! I could've found a way to protect all of you. But now? Now, you're all on your own." David said.

"You've got to still have some friends here, right?" Javier asks. "She managed to flip Clint and Lingard to her side somehow. Without them, it's hopeless. It's everyone out for themselves these days." David said. "Hey, we can still win this. You and me together should be able to take down some punk-ass soldiers." Javier said. "You are so goddamn naive, Javi. We're outnumbered here! I could be far way from here. There are other communities out there." David said. "I'm right here with you, man. We don't have to run. We can handle it." Javier said. "Alright. I'm listening. The problem is, I don't know what to do now. There's no way out of this. They got us boxed in here. Literally." David said. "Joan screwed you over, big time. So we have to fight back mean and dirty. Win, at any cost." Javier said. "She is not going to beat us." David said.

Joan enters the room. "Well, now! You two seem ready for anything." Joan said. "Armed escort? You're that scared to face me?" David asks. "Oh, David. I'm not scared of you. I came here to talk, not fight. You're not going to be a problem, are you? I just want a calm discussion. Between us." Joan said. "You've got the guns, you set the terms." Javier said. Joan appreciates that. "I'm glad you're willing to work with me. It's sad how we ended up here. But Clint and Lingard agree: you've become a problem. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to call for a gathering in the square. The people deserve to hear a full explanation of your arrest." Joan said. "And then?" David Asks. "Then, you'll be replaced as head of security. No one's above the law, David. Not even you." Joan said. "I know the laws, Joan. You're the one breaking them." David said.