Trouble at Training

Magsimula sa umpisa

Archer cracked a smile, snapping me out of my thoughts. I liked Archer a lot, I thought he was nice and very much like a gentleman. He held up his bow, knocked the arrow, aimed, then let the arrow fly. The arrow whizzed by like a bullet. It hit right on target.

My eyes widened, "That was impressive."

"Well there's a reason why I'm called Archer." He laughed.

"Are you serious?"

"No." He shot me a smile, "it's just a strange coincidence."

I rolled my eyes in response.

He cleared his throat, "now you try."

I peeled my gaze off of Archer and onto the target. I held the bow firmly in my left hand and knocked the arrow with my right. I aimed for the red, and let the arrow go.

WHIZZ

The arrow planted itself in the bullseye.
I smiled with glee, satisfied with the outcome.

"Hey good job!" Bae called out to me, but his excitement was replaced with horror as he caught the sight of my neck. But he didn't say a word about it, Bae just glared at Cale coldly, knowing exactly what he did to me.

"See, you have a natural talent." Archer said, his smile widening.

"Beginners luck." Cale spat.

"Beginners luck nothing." I shot back at Cale.

'I hope Pan kicks your butt for assaulting me.'

Cale glared at me with his grey eyes, "oh yeah? Well how about we put it to the test."

"This game is about to get interesting."
I heard Pan mutter to Felix.

"Cale lay off. She's only shot the bow once." Annoyance rose in Bae's voice as he attempted to defend me. It was nice he was trying to protect me from Cale but I didn't need his protection. Just because Cale got the drop on me then doesn't mean he'll beat me next time.

"Yeah well she shouldn't have opened her big mouth. So what do you say star, how about we have a contest." Cale mocked.

"Fine by me," I looked him right in the eyes, "what do I get if I win?"

Cale chuckled, his voice deep and husky. "You're so adorable. When you lose, which you will, you have to be the guinea pig in one of Pan's games."

Archer's face froze, "Solstice," he warned, "don't do it. Pan's games are ruthless."

"Okay, deal." I ignored Archer's warnings. "Imps first." I snickered, mocking him with a sarcastic bow.

"Ha! You think insulting me is going to me do you any good?bWell guess what princess, it's not." Cale hooked the arrow into place, aimed, then let go.

The arrow flew through the air, hitting it's target right in the center. Bullseye.

"Can't get any better than that!" Cale spat. "Your turn."

I knocked the arrow, breathed in, and pulled back. I aimed for the center, and let the arrow go.

It zipped through the air, hitting the target.

WHIZZ

I looked at the arrow, frowning at the disappointing outcome. The arrow dug itself into the yellow ring.

Cale let out a laugh, "I told you, beginners luck."

I snapped my head to face him, "considering this was my second shot on a bow, I'd say I did fine. And for the record, you've had much for experience than I have."

"Yeah well your going to need a lot more practice to beat me." He sneered.

"I bet I did better than you did on your first try." I shot back. I wanted desperately to kick Cale where it hurt but I knew it wasn't going to help anything.

Cale's smile disappeared, "careful star." He warned "it would not be wise to antagonize me."

I scoffed. "Why should I listen to you? Last time I checked you were still the lowly excuse for a human who tried to kill me just ten minutes ago."

Then, with surprisingly amount of speed, Cale knocked an arrow and aimed the bow right in my face. The arrows tip dared to carve a hole in my head.

"Say something, just so I have an accuse to shoot. I dare you."

I gulped, 'was he crazy?'

I wasn't afraid, but I didn't want to die either. I liked my life, even if I as trapped on a magical island at the moment.

"You're insane. You're lucky I don't have my magic. If I did, I'd wipe that smile right off your face."

"Ah, but you don't have magic, do you.
And as I recall, stars have special hearts, hearts in which a human could eat. A kind of heart that give you its magic and youth as soon as you devour it." He paused, watching me squirm, "don't think for a second that I won't kill you."

I stood there, watching him. I recalled what he said in the armory while he was choking the life out of me, "I will kill you." I knew he meant it. So I shut my mouth and tried my best to act humble. I didn't want Cale to get inside my head.

Once he saw that he had shut me up, Cale gave me an evil smile. He lowered the bow and walked over to me. He grabbed my wrist and tugged me near him so he could whisper in my ear; "you'd better watch your back because when tomorrow rolls around you're going to wish you stayed in the sky."

"That's enough." Pan's voice boomed through the training field. "Cale, stand down."

Cale grinned and pushed me to the dirt.
I lost my footing and collapsed to the ground before I could brace myself.

"Solstice, come with me." Pan ordered, ignoring how Cale shoved me to the gravel. I stood up, brushed myself off, then walked toward Pan. I never took my eyes off of Cale until he was out of sight. I really didn't like him.

Pan and I walked toward the huts in uncomfortable silence. I wanted to know what Pan wanted with me.

'What was Cale's deal? I never did anything to him. And what did he mean about tomorrow?'

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer, "why is Cale such a jerk!?"

Pan stopped and turned to me, looking me right in the eyes. I looked into his; his green eyes sparkled with something unfamiliar. Perhaps confusion?

I inched away from his piercing gaze, "Pan please don't look at me like that."

"Why not?" He cocked his head playfully.

I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. I was trapped by Pan's eyes, I couldn't move, I couldn't think.

All I could do was stare at him.