Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

The night before school starts, it happens.

                  Giselle has a tub of ice cream on her crossed legs and a spoon in her mouth as she watches the small television in our dorm room. Tomorrow's the big day. It's also eleven o'clock since we both can't fall asleep. "Great, it's time for the eleven o'clock news," she mumbles with the spoon between her teeth as the screen changes. "Maybe this will help me fall asleep."

                   I shut the book I'd been trying to read. Some biology summer work. I still don't have a major and it makes me feel like this unlabeled blob that has no idea where she's headed in life. Giselle is majoring in Social Work. She wants to be a social worker for reasons I do not know yet but she says she does not care about money. I wish I had a good heart but if I major in something, it'll make a lot. I've known too much sadness from not having enough meaningless paper. Mom's painter paycheck didn't really cover a lot and her medical bills currently aren't helping. I have to start looking for a new job since I quit that penguin job in Brownwood.

                 "I can't pretend to read this anymore," I say, shoving it aside angrily. Everything has been irritating me lately. It's nerves. I get up, stretching. "I have a good remedy to our insomnia. Honey milk usually works for me."

                  Giselle looks over, her messy bun bouncing. Her eyes shine. "Can you make some?"

                 I roll my eyes. "Fine, you psycho."

                  She blows kisses. "Love you."

                  I show her the bird and slip out of our room as she laughs. We've gotten close over the past few weeks. I miss Candy but parts of Giselle remind me of her and as bad as it is to compare both good friends, I'm happy Giselle temporarily replaces Candy because I'd feel extra empty if I had completely nobody. It's a horrible thought but I'm only human.

             The narrow carpeted hallway and fluorescent lights really give off the college dorm vibe and sometimes I still can't believe I'm here. I swear yesterday I was in high school, complaining about finals or something. I hate time. I hate everything.

               See, I'm so irritated about everything. I need to go see a doctor.

                 Though our floor has a kitchen, it doesn't have much of anything and you have to buy the food to cook yourself. However, if you go to the second floor where there are lounges and study rooms, there is also a food packed slightly bigger kitchen. Oh, and get this. Even plastic chairs to sit on!

                    I take the elevator down, excited and nervous and the same butterflies that have been bubbling inside of me all day. First day of school. I had almost forgotten how scary those were.

                 I'm skipping into the kitchen when I see a figure opening the fridge. I can tell it's a male by the arms. He's wearing a gray shirt and in his purple boxers but his head is looking inside the fridge. I'd be alarmed but I'm busy focusing on the elephants on his underwear. I tilt my head because the elephants look creepy. Something's off about them.

                 The guy shuts the fridge, holding a gallon of milk. He turns and suddenly jumps ten feet into the air, yelling and grabbing his heart. "Jesus, fuck!"

                  I step back, holding my hands up. "Sorry...."

                 "Who the hell just stands there in the dark?" he whisper-yells.