(Another) Assault

Start from the beginning

"Why, because I'm boosting your profits?" Ricardia couldn't help but snap at her, but Dani just grinned back.

"Hey, hey - don't get pissy with me, honey. You're the one who's gotta figure your shit out." Her smile faded, softened into something surprisingly genuine.

"Years and years ago, I still lived in Caedem. Up north, a coastal settlement - it was nice place." She sighed. But then I got bored - I wanted to see the rest of the galaxy, so I started taking trips."

"And you ended up here?" Ricardia instantly regretted asking the question. She might be obligated to share her own story.

But Dani seemed too wrapped up in her own memories to notice. "Not exactly. I started out as just another tourist here." She laughed, bitter. "It was the first time I'd ever seen a casino - and I was hooked. I kept coming back, over and over, until I was down to my last notes. Eventually, my debts had me trapped. And after clawing myself back from the brink of addiction, I kind of just... stayed. I'd seen my fill of the galaxy, but Caedem just wasn't home anymore."

She sighed, turned away. "All I'm saying is that there's no shame in burning bridges. I found a life here for myself - I'm sure you could too."

And then she left, leaving Ricardia with nothing but her thoughts to keep her company.

...

Ricardia was still turning Dani's words over in her head as she stepped out into a darkened Onyx. It was later than she was expecting; she'd taken her time eating after her shift.

She shook her head, as though the physical movement would clear it of her thoughts. It was futile, however - there was just too much for her to think about. Ricardia pointed herself in the direction of home - at some point, she'd begun to think of Sana's apartment as one. It was a strange feeling, but not unpleasant. It wasn't, however, making her decision any easier. Should she stay or should she go-

"Hey there, honey." A familiar, horrible voice spoke out of the gloom, dragging Ricardia away from her thoughts. She looked up, and her blood ran cold.

"I didn't think we'd see each other again, but then I heard the news about this fancy new dancer at the Sandroom - one with a certain Factor."

Standing a little ways away, the shaggy-haired hacker grinned at her. But Flanking the man wasn't his heavyset sidekick - instead, he was accompanied by a pair of figures. They wore dark robes and tinted lenses; Ricardia shrinked back, fearful. She'd spent enough time in the station by now to know who these people were. Then, she heard movement behind her; another pair of Purists had cut off the passageway that led around the building and back onto the avenue. She'd heard their steps as they moved to cover the Sandroom's back door as well.

"Look who brought more friends this time." Ricardia was pleased with the way her voice stayed steady; a small victory in this disaster.

"You know, I wasn't expecting to see you again," the hacker said, suddenly snarling. "I thought you were a tourist - but you're actually a runaway, aren't you?" He nodded at the Purists, who hadn't spoken yet. "These folks appreciate locals like us. They need Factor-borns - but things get messy when people show up missing. So we help them out - a few tips here and there on who would be a good mark." He nodded at her, the grin returning. "And you, honey, are perfect."

The rumors are true, was all she could think. Instinctively, she turned to Sana for support - then remembered she wasn't there. Ricardia had gotten comfortable, secure in her surroundings. When did she start walking alone again, and with no protection? Her naivety had crept back in without her even realizing it, and now, she was going to pay the price.

"People are going to notice I'm gone," Ricardia said. "You don't think the club owner's gonna let that slide?"

"I think she will." The hacker leered at her. "And I think she'll probably find it too much trouble." Then, he shrugged. "She can just find someone else. People don't mess with the Purists."

Despite her recent conversation with the woman, she didn't like her odds of Dani swooping in to the rescue.

She was utterly screwed.

Ricardia suddenly felt very tired, as though her limbs had grown more dense in the past few moments. She just wanted to drop to the floor, and let whatever these people wanted to just happen already.

But she was also sick of running, of living a half-life in the darkness for her cowardice. Onyx wasn't her home, she knew that now. It never would be, as much as sweet, kind Sana wanted it to happen. She had one once, but now it was gone.

Slowly, Ricardia raised her arms, forcing herself to stoke the embers of rage.

"I guess you wanted revenge, huh?" She matched his look with her own manic grin. "So why not? Come on, now - how me what you got." There was nothing but stalwart resignation, now.

He growled, and took a step forwards - but then hesitated. Ricardia watched as he stopped to glance at the Purists, waiting to see how they would react. Impassive, they simply watched the proceedings. They almost seemed bored.

Satisfied that they wouldn't interfere, he turned back to Ricardia - who exploded into a sprint to close the distance between them. Her skin burst into light, fuelled by adrenaline.

"Oh, shit-" the hacker cried out before she hit him with a full on tackle. They tumbled, hitting the ground in a tangle of limbs. Ricardia went for the man's hair, yanking on it as hard as she could. She could feel him trying to buck her, using his legs to land blows on her torso and lower body, But she hung on, slamming her forehead into his face, over and over again.

She had thought it was gone, buried underneath the despair and self-pity. But that surge of anger flared up again, stronger than ever, and she welcomed it like an old friend.

"You wanna take me?" She was screaming. "I'll kill you! I'll rip your shitty head off-" There was a light buzzing sound, a crackle, and then Ricardia froze, her muscles seizing. It was like the worst cramp she'd ever experienced - but all over her body. She couldn't even scream in pain; her jaw was locked shut.

Someone roughly rolled her off the hacker, and she stared up at one of the Purists. They cradled a slim, tapered object in their hands - a stun-gun, Ricardia realized. She'd been hit by a low-energy weapon, shutting down her muscles and nervous system.

Next to her, the hacker coughed, getting to his feet. "You bitch," he hissed at her. "I hope they work you to death." Then he turned to the Purist with the gun, incredulous. "Why didn't you shoot her earlier?" She stepped closer, but backed away quickly when the Purist lifted the stunner.

"We needed proof of her Factor." They said, "and your... altercation was helpful in that regard."

Idly, Ricardia realized her skin was still glowing. Then the Purist looked back at her. "You should not have come here, servant of the Planatae. But now you have the chance to serve a just cause - one that will end the subjugation of humanity."

The hacker backed away, shaking his head. "You people are insane."

The Purist waved him away. "You will get the reward for the bounty. Now leave."

Ricardia didn't have the chance to see if the hacker had actually left or not - she was suddenly lifted by another Purist, and her view was now the back of their dark, flowing robe. They'd thrown her over their shoulder like a sack of vegetables.

She could hear the Purist calling the others, and then they were moving, Ricardia swaying with every step. The noise of the crowds, the casinos and music were fading; it meant they were taking a route through the darkside alleyways. Ricardia was beyond fear now - beyond any traditional emotion. The fight had taken everything out of her, and now she felt hollowed out - empty. It was a terrible thing when Ricardia realized she didn't much care about what would happen to her next.

She could hear a low, pathetic whine, now, like something an animal make. It took her a few moments to realize the keening, pathetic noise was coming out of her locked-up jaw.

"Silence her," someone ordered, and then she was hit by another bolt of energy. But this time, it pulled her down into sweet darkness.