And The Show Begins

Start from the beginning

The acting industry had always been beautiful, after all, lies were meant to be beautiful. If they were ugly, people wouldn't like them so much. Lies were like fragile crystals, attractive and always vulnerable. Unless...the right people held it.

"Miss Veretta is here!" Someone yelled and the stage was stolen in an instant.

From the shiny white Limo stepped down a clear stiletto, followed by another. The lady of the night had finally arrived. After all, it was a movie she was starred in. Dressed in an ethereal white cocktail dress, adorned with sparkling butterflies was Rose Veretta.

Before the reporters could gnaw on her with insensitive questions, the bouncers started making way for her. This was the life they traded their souls for. Cameras, mics, parties and smiles. No matter where you were, you were always in the spotlight. Forgetting that meant turning into a gray memory and getting thrown in the box.

The acting industry was an arena of predators. The plot twist though? No one knew who was the prey.

As the celebrities each took their seat in the large auditorium, the lights were dimmed and the stage was brightened.

"Ms. Veretta, a word if I may." A young boy, not more than twenty-one, with a notebook and pencil in hand pushed his way towards Rose's table.

She smiled kindly, furrowing her brows together, "I am sorry, but the show is almost starting."

The boy looked worried, "It won't take long. It's about your upcoming web series."

Rose sighed but nodded, "Not too long please."

His expression brightened, he looked so excited that his pencil almost fell.

"S-so, what is the story basically about?"

"I believe I can't answer that question."

"Just a vague answer will be fine do."

She chewed on her lipstick-painted lip, "Well if you ask. Butterflies is a series about betrayal and revenge. It falls in the mystery-thriller genre, so don't watch it without your parents." She giggled.

The boy blushed pink, noting down everything. "A-as far as we are aware, the series is catering to budding talent. But is there also any veteran actor on set except you?"

"You flatter me. I am hardly any veteran. But yes, you may see familiar and charming faces in the series."

The boy asked a few more questions before bowing in thanks and leaving her alone. The night progressed with touches of laughter and chatter. A notice about sympathies for Cynthia Reyes was made and in the audience filled with actors, lots of sorrowful remarks were conveyed and tears were shed.

"Cynthia was loved by all." An old director spoke, wiping a lone tear from the corner of his eyes.

Rose nodded, her expression was somber, not letting any sort of secret escape. When you were in this business, you learned how to veil your eyes, so your soul is out of reach for anyone to read, and oh how Rose had mastered the art.

"Was she now." A chuckle echoed in Rose's ear as a well-manicured hand was placed on Rose's shoulder.

"She loved to pick kids off the street after all." She said in a low voice. The director stared at her weirdly and then over her head. Maybe something came up because he left without saying anything else.

"You pissed him off." The person over her shoulder spoke again. She was dressed in silk red, with a black mask pasted on her face. With the dull lighting of the room, she blended in well.

"Are you sure it was me?"

"You aren't?" Robin laughed, taking a seat right in front of her.

"Come on, I know you hated her and those dyed silver hair of hers."

"..." Rose chose to ignore her. Robin was bad news. So what if she knew how to hide herself well? Giving her any attention was already risky enough.

"Silent treatment? You really think that will work on me, darling?"

As lights flickered around more and more, Robin seemed to be calculating her escape and getting no reply from Rose, she was growing restless after all.

"Well then, my little rose, I'll treat you at night. αντιο σας"

Silence was a deadly thing in the war of affection. It would turn a sane man crazy. But when the silence started becoming peace, one should be aware, it mustn't be silent anymore.

 But when the silence started becoming peace, one should be aware, it mustn't be silent anymore

Word count: 1262