1 | Death News |

"Haaa, what a day... ", I sigh and let my exhausted body fall into a comfortable cloud. As I watch the sky create the most beautiful shades of orange and pink, the sun slowly leaves the earth for the as stunning dark night and bright stars. 

As I admire this incredible miracle humans call "sunset," I straighten my huge light blue wings. After humans invented cars, my feathers could never stay in proper order since I always have to fly after them.

"Whew, being a guardian angel is soooooo hard." I mumble. My job is to protect the soul that has been assigned to me. It's been my job for many decades, and I love my job - don't get me wrong - but sometimes I just need a break. 

"There you are!" Cadoc, a friend of mine, calls out to me, and I greet him back. He steps out of a teleportation gate he has summoned. Carrying several different weapons on his armored body, he is signaling to everyone that he is the God of War. His long blond hair and beard sway in the wind as he sits down next to me. 

We've been friends for a long time, even though this isn't a welcome sight. Apparently, no one wants a God and an Angel to be close friends, but here we are. The G.o.D. of War Cadoc and I, a mare Guardian Angel, Ramon are best friends.

"What brings you here?" I ask as he shows me a new tattoo on his shoulder. It's the name of his lover Orfea, the God of Beauty, eternelized in his flesh.

Isn't that painful?

"Oooh, you're so romantic. Are you sure you're the God of War and not Cupid himself?" I give him a friendly slap on the shoulder to mock him. 

"Tsk, you're just jealous because you can't experience love! Oh, how boring your life must be..." He replies gruffly, covering his shoulder with a leather jacket that makes him look like a Viking.

"Ey!"

Cadoc shrugs his shoulders. "I mean, isn't it lonely to be single all the time? Aren't you curious about what it feels like to be loved?"

Love? I don't need to be loved. Seeing my souls constantly falling for red flags all the time, is enough for me to reject everything that has to do with love.

The cold wind makes me shiver, so I snuggle into my wings to warm up a little. "I dunno. I'm an angel. I'm not made to love and I never loved anyone, so I don't even know why I should be curious of how it might feel like. But you could tell me: what is love to you, oh mighty god of war?" 

Cadoc grins a little before thinking for a moment. "Love?" His eyes twinkle in syncronasation with the stars in the distance as he speaks. "Love is the best thing that can happen to someone! Love is what makes one worry for simple things, like how my appearance is like or how loud to talk, so the other person feels more comfortable." Ironically, he half shouts.

Isn't that... more like parenting?

Cadoc turns and looks at me. "It's something worth fighting for, something worth dying for! You do know that the greatest wars start over love, don't you? Is there a more honorable reason to fight than for love?"

"Tsk, of course, it's all about fighting for you. Love is just an excuse..." I wink at Cadoc, just to tease him, but it doesn't get through to him. He's still lost in his own thoughts. "The battle of the heart is certainly the hardest."

A large feather at the tip of my wings begins to glow. "Whatever - hold on, Merikh is calling me." Cadoc snaps back to reality, watching my movements with worry written all over his face.

"The Merikh? The Angel of Death, Merikh?" I nod and murmur an affirmation as I take the glowing feather and tear it in half. 

"Outch!" Cadoc leans closer to inspect the bluish liquid between the two pieces, which slowly forms into a small screen. Through the screen, a dark shiluette asks for my location.