(Rewrite) Chapter 11: Two at Once

Start from the beginning

43 gets up off the ground, to which Dr. L kicks them in the stomach, causing them to fall back down to the floor. "Not good at all. Now I got two people becoming gootraxians! How amazing is that!" Dr. L exclaims, frustrated. "Two?" Kai asks. "Yes, two! You and Wesson!" Dr. L replies. I stare at Kai awkwardly. "You're telling me you've been infected this whole time, and you didn't bother to tell me?" Kai asks. "..yeah..because I'd think you would make me a subject, like the rest of them.." I reply. "Well now, if anyone knows about the two of us, we're as good as dead." Kai says. "I'm not letting you two become a subject." Dr. L says.

"..why..?" I ask. "..I...past experiences." Dr. L replies. "Well...what do we do now?" I ask. "We make our way to my room, so I can get you both comically large gloves." Dr. L replies, beginning to walk off. Me and Kai look at each other for a second, before following Dr. L back to the elevators. We all awkwardly walk into the elevator as Dr. L presses the 'hotel' button, sending us up the elevator, as the doors close. All three of us stand in awkward silence, as I see Kai continuously looking down at his infected arm.

The elevator stops, as the doors slide open shortly after. "Alright. C'mon." Dr. L says, walking over to his hotel room. We walk up to a door with a label saying '102'. Dr. L scans his ID card on the door, as it clicks. He then pushes the door open, walking into his room. "Aaand, here we are!" Dr. L exclaims, holding the door for me and Kai. We both walk into the room, as I see it looks just as messy as the last time I saw it.

I watch as Dr. L rummages around his drawers, and all over the room. He finally pulls out a gigantic arm glove. "Here's uh..one!" He says, holding it up, proud. Kai snatches it from his and tries to put it on his arm. "No need to be so aggressive..damn.." Dr. L says, looking around for a second arm glove. "God damn it! Why does it have to be the arm I use!" Kai exclaims with frustration, struggling to get the arm glove on.

I watch as Dr. L takes out another arm glove, and hands it to me. I take it, and roll my lab coat sleeves up. I take notice of a small patch of fur, with pinkish purple goo slowly spreading from it. I quickly take the arm glove, and put it on with ease. The glove has a simple design, black in color. I roll down my lab coat sleeves, looking back up at Kai, who is still struggling. "GOD DAMNIT!" He yells in frustration. The sudden outburst causes me to flinch, and Dr. L to turn back to Kai.

"Just a glove man..just a glove.." Dr. L says. "I can't get this damn thing on man! It keeps slipping off!" Kai says. "If you need help, just ask." Dr. L says. Kai looks up at Dr. L with a 'are you kidding me' look. "What? I'm helping you." Dr. L says. "..I need help getting it on." Kai says. "Coulda just told me." Dr. L replies, walking over to Kai, using both his hands to put the arm glove on him. Dr. L successfully gets the arm glove on Kai. "...thanks." Kai says. "..this..is a little tight.." He continues, moving 'his' right arm (the infected one) around, clenching and unclenching his newly formed paw.

"The tightness helps with a better grip, ya know." Dr. L says. "..it does?" Kai asks. "Yep. It's pretty neat." Dr. L replies. "Hey Wesson, you alright? You've been pretty quiet lately." He asks me. "Uh- Yeah, all good..." I reply. "Youuu sure about that?" Dr. L asks. "..yep." I reply. "Alright then." Dr. L says, looking around for something else. He pulls out two syringes with grey liquid in them, and hands one to me. I take it, and put it in one of my pockets. "What is this for?" Kai asks, hesitantly taking the syringe. "I was literally just going to tell you. Anyways, it's a syringe full of white blood cells. If your ar- If you get any burning sensation on your body, use it." Dr. L replies.

"Uh...okay..." Kai says, putting the syringe in their hazmat suit pocket. "Anyways..that just about wraps things up here...you two can go now. I'm going to stay up here and uh..get things organized." Dr. L says. Me and Kai nod, before walking out. "See ya!" I say, leaving his room, and shutting the door. I walk into the elevator with Kai, unsure of what to talk about. I press the 'Lab' button, as I feel the elevator sending us down. "..so...how's life been?" Kai asks, looking at the walls of the elevator. "Terrible. So listen, this is what happens, okay? I get fired from my job, struggle finding another one, until I get an email from this place. I get accepted, and learn what actually goes on down here. Now I'm...becoming a goo monster." I reply.

"I mean..it's not like it's the end of the world. Besides losing your memories." Kai says. "..if I lose my memories, then I'm a whole new me. Same goes for you." I say. "I mean..yeah..we better spend our final days carefully...but..then again..twenty percent of infected individuals keep their memories.." Kai says. "That's one in five." I say. "Better than nothing though, right?" Kai asks. "..yeah.." I sigh in defeat. The elevator comes to a halt, as it dings, the doors opening. In front of me lies the two guards from the outside of the facility, that let me in.

"Still super glued?" The brown haired guard asks. "..yeah." I reply. "Haha, we're going to mistake you for a subject soon or something man! Just take that lab coat off and we won't even recognize ya!" The black haired guard says, chuckling. "..I never got your names..." I say. "Oh yeahhh...my name is Liam. Nice to meetcha. For the second time." The brown haired guard says. "My name is Nathan." The black haired guard says. "Anyways, I got a question for you, Kai." Liam says, turning his glance to him. "Yeah? What is it?" Kai asks. "What's up with the giant arm cover? Also, where did your hazmat suit arm go off to?" Liam asks.

"Uh...the hazmat suit arm got torn up when I was chasing that one escaped subject. I ripped it off and put a giant glove on." Kai says. "Ohhh..alright..you're pretty lucky to make it out of there..ya know..alive." Liam says. "Haha..yeah.." Kai says, A hint of sarcasm in his chuckle. "Anyways, we got a job to do, see you around, Kai!" Nathan says, walking to the elevator with Liam. "See ya!" Kai says, waving bye to them. The two guards call the elevator, as I watch the doors close. Kai looks at me with a look of confusion. "..how did that work.." He says. "Dr. L is always right.." I reply. "No- I mean..how did they actually BELIEVE my fake story?" Kai asks. I shrug in response.

The intercom suddenly turns on.

"Subject 42 has been captured and recontained, we thank you for your cooperation, Laminax staff. You may resume normal duties."

And it turns off with a beep.

"Well..there it is. At least I contributed in getting that fucker back in its cell." Kai says, a hint of anger present in his voice, as he looks down at his gloved arm.