27

In his lifetime, Tommy has worn a wide variety of clothes in different styles and colors. The only trait they all had in common was that they weren't new. Each one was a hand-me-down from a foster sibling, both the girls and the boys. Anything that could be discarded was placed in Tommy's hands, and he was told to do with it as he pleased. If he threw it away, he would have to walk around naked and suffer the consequences of public indecency. If he did wear the clothes, he risked shame and perhaps even physical torment from people with biases. Tommy, as any person with the will to live will agree, found a way to survive. Once he learned how to sew, he put those skills to practical use immediately. Although he couldn't turn cotton to silk, Tommy could, at least, make some clothes that didn't look like they were constantly falling apart.

Even after Tommy started working for Madeleine, he didn't get new clothes. Like his life in foster care, Tommy got the scraps. If someone canceled their order and it fit Tommy well enough, Madeleine gave it to him. Most of Tommy's current favorite clothes, including his hoodie, were taken from a pile that the other tailors have created with the unsalvageable clothes or the unwanted scraps. Tommy is free to browse the pile, to take what he wants and do with it as he pleases. Although Tommy doesn't like still getting hand-me-downs, he isn't one to scoff in the face of something that makes his life easier. Tommy takes what he wants from the pile, and he leaves it at that.

Tommy has never taken a suit from the pile before. He's always seen one near the bottom, some maroon-colored, old-fashioned outfit that was rejected because of how uncultured it was. Tommy took that very same suit. His nose wrinkled together both at the dusty smell and the odd sleeves. Tommy had to hurry to fix the suit as best as he could, but he still looked like he was going to a renaissance faire when he looked in the mirror. Tommy sighed, shifting the long coat around his body. He had the passing thought that Ravager would like this outfit, but that thought got pushed away as soon as he leaped from the window.

Now, Tommy stands in front of one of the largest buildings on the entire island, both in height and width. It is built like an upside-down 'T' with one central tower stretching into two outstretching wings. The entire building is made from a glistening white stone that refracts the golden lights splashing across the surface from multi-colored, slow-moving spotlights. The interior is shining with yellowish orange light, making the entire tower look like it's been set on fire by a divine flame. Thousands of voices spill out from each open window and open door, screams of delight and laughter crescendoing. Like an undercurrent, a song blares out from the main floor, quick-footed like a rabbit, and the vague impression of slot machines dip and fall with each passing second, following along the noises of the humans. In blaring neon, two words curve and loop in tubing, dancing in shades of blue and gold, to name this building Las Nevadas.

While it may not definitely be the longest or widest or tallest building on the island, it is the largest gambling house on the entire island. Along with a large casino boasting hundreds of different games people can win money by playing, Las Nevadas' central tower are layers of hotel suites. There is a kitchen producing food 24/7, delivering exquisite dishes to the gamblers and the people in the suites. There is a large theater in the back for all manner of entertainment from theatrical productions to comedy shows to ones showcasing magic. In the back, an olympic-sized pool stretches out with hot tubs lining it on both sides for anyone that wants to relax in the water. Las Nevadas is popular for many reasons, and these accommodations are only scratching the surface.

Tommy, for his part, has never been to Las Nevadas before. He's never had the money to gamble or to stay. He's never had the time to swim or watch a show. His belly is content with the convenience store food and the food trucks. Tommy has never had the urge to drink or gamble. Las Nevadas was never able to offer him anything... before now, that is.