23

Wilbur hums a song Tommy doesn't recognize as they walk. His fingers are moving gracefully in front him like he's pressing down on piano keys or strumming guitar strings in front of him. Occasionally, he will stop humming altogether. He will either wear a contemplating expression or a dissatisfied one. In the former case, he will repeat the part he was humming previously, and in the latter case, he retries the same melody with subtle differences. Tommy, for his part, doesn't understand any of it. While the radio is his lifeline, he prefers people talking than musicians performing. He doesn't dislike music, though, and while he doesn't understand any of the intricacies, listening to Wilbur fascinates Tommy. It feels like he's peeking behind the curtain, watching a masterpiece in the making.

"Are you a professional musician?" Tommy asks innocently. He remembers Shelby saying that Wilbur usually comes back with albums after his disappearances. Tommy didn't think much of it then, just like how he didn't think much about Wilbur mentioning he knew how to play the guitar. Wilbur has made it clear music is important to him. Tommy thought it was a hobby before, but it seems like Wilbur is genuinely invested in his performances.

"Professionally? No. I just do this for the fun of it. I have a day job, you know," Wilbur answers. Even as he talks, his voice carries a melodious lilt. The way his voice rises and falls in pitch reminds Tommy of a quiet lullaby. He's noticed before that Wilbur sounds like he's singing a ballad when he's excited, his voice brilliantly bright. "Why? Do you think I should go into music professionally?"

The expression Wilbur is wearing makes Tommy's cheeks burn with embarrassment. Wilbur is smiling so widely that his eyes are halfway closed, the brown filling up the small space to make it look as dark as the night. He leans forward, turning slightly to give his entire attention to Tommy. The blonde hates it when Wilbur does that. Having someone's full attention has never been a good thing for Tommy until Wilbur came along. Tommy was content to skirt along the edges of people's vision, someone they knew of but never personally. If no one looked at him, if no one saw him, he didn't have to worry. No one punches empty air, after all. Wilbur has become the exception for Tommy because when his eyes rest on the blonde's shoulders, there is never hatred in his eyes. Never violence or ill intentions. There is only happiness, blooming like flowers in a sun-kissed meadow.

"Fuck off. I'm only asking to make sure you aren't. You suck at singing," Tommy hisses, turning away from Wilbur. Instead of offense, Tommy hears Wilbur's laughter rise high into the crisp morning. The people in the dilapidated apartments and offices all around them are going to be upset, but Wilbur is the kind of person who laughs with his entire soul. He reminds Tommy of himself in that regard, but at least Wilbur's laughter sounds like the jingling of bells, not the thunderous croak of crows like Tommy's laughter.

"Oh, we're almost there!" Wilbur declares, a little more energy coming into his steps as he rushes over to a building. Tommy watches Wilbur go, remaining at his steady pace. He takes the opportunity to look around. Wilbur has taken him to the very edge of the island. Unfortunately, this section of the island does not boast beaches with a cerulean sea. If it did, the rich people would have claimed it for their own. Because of the rocky area settled against an usually gray, sometimes brown ocean, people without a lot of credits in their communicators have claimed the area for their own. While the area isn't the worst in terms of average income and crime rates, the old-style buildings around Tommy prove that it isn't as great as the inner-city where the heroes patrol every day.

"Come on!" Wilbur calls out from the end of the street. As Tommy approaches, he can hear the ocean crashing against the rocks below the cliff face. Tommy looks out across the edge of the island, lifting a hand up to block out the rising sun. The view isn't as horrible as Tommy thought it would be, but he doesn't spend much more time staring out across the storm-colored water. He looks over at Wilbur, then his attention slides to the building Wilbur is staring up at.