𝐖𝐡𝐲?

╔══《✧》══╗

╚══《✧》══╝

James had woken up a few hours later, finding you still asleep. His stomach grumbled and he decided to get food for himself and you, for when you would wake.

He found the food prepared by Molly and headed back in only to find you standing, gazing outside through the window. James quickly set the food down.

"What in the world are you doing up!?"

You turned around and merely stared at him before saying, "Oh crap, how did I end up in hell!? I was supposed to be in heaven! Now you're going to annoy me for eternity."

James narrowed his eyes, "You are not dead." He answered before his eyes softened, "Please sit back down, you're not supposed to be up and running just yet."

You rolled your eyes, "Fine." You replied but James noticed how you winced with each step you took, as the effects of the wound were still very fresh. You let out a small cry of pain as you dropped back onto the bed as the healing skin stretched painfully.

James immediately began to fuss over you, "Shit, are you alright? Where does it hurt? Should I try to get someone? Or should-"

"Potter, relax." You interrupted him. "I'm fine."

He nodded before handing you a plate full of assorted foods.

"Molly threatened me that you better have eaten this before she comes back in the morning to check on you, or she'll have my head."

A small smile crawled onto your lips, "That would have been an amusing sight, but remind me to thank Molly."

James pouted but bit back the remark sitting upon his tongue. Instead he voiced the one thought that was haunting him.

"Why?"

You paused, raising an eyebrow in confusion, "Pardon?"

"Why? Why did you take my place? Why did you save me from the spell and took the hit yourself?"

You sighed, setting your plate to the side.

"It was better me than you." You answered, staring off into the distance as your mind traveled elsewhere. "You have family and friends that would be devastated if anything happened to you. And me," You let out a cold laugh, "My family would celebrate my death, plus I guess so I would deserve it." You voice cracked near the end.

"No you don't." James immediately said, kneeling in front of you. "Why would you think that?"

Your eyes glossed over, "I had vowed to protect someone I considered a younger brother, a-and I left him there in that cruel world."