Bitter Tongues (Part 5)

"Seriously man?" Tate complained.

"Just give me one more chance," I begged him, "That's it. If I fail again, I'll leave you alone forever."

October 14th. Lunch period on a Monday afternoon.

"Why should I?" Tate said, "You lost! You had your chance and you lost it."

He's right. I got slammed by his trivia game, but this time it's different. I'm going to win this, no matter what.

"If you lose at a video game, that doesn't mean the 'retry' option isn't available," I argued, "I'm using that option. I popped a coin into the machine and I want to replay the game."

Tate grunted as an opposition. He's annoyed right now, but I don't care in the slightest. He's either gonna accept it or I'm going to beat the brakes off of him.

"What makes you think that you're going to win this time?" Tate asked.

"I studied."

"You studied?"

"Yeah."

Tate picked his phone up from the ground and unlocked it.

"Listen," He said, "I'll give you one more chance, but that's it. I'm a very busy man and I can't get side-tracked like this."

The absolute audacity of this man, "You're a high school student, you're not running a business."

"Might as well be."

Students walked passed us with their lunches in hand. The hallway we were in was starting to get crowded, for some reason people are coming inside to eat.

"Alright," Tate held up his phone to his face, "Are you ready for the first question?"

"Yes," I pushed my earbud into my ear, it was starting to fall out.

"What is the national animal of Scotland?" Tate asked.

"The unicorn," I responded.

"What..." Tate gaped his mouth open, "Okay. How about another?"

"That's fine," I replied.

"Hmp," Tate said with a hint of annoyance.

His thumb began to flick up and down his phone, scrolling through whatever app he was on.

"What does the famous 'M&M' candy stand for?" Tate questioned.

"Mars and Murrie."

"Got another one right." Tate raised his
suspicions, "Are you cheating?"

"No, I just studied all night."

Tate seemed annoyed. I could see his nose twitch as we lock eyes.

"Alright," Tate scrolled through his phone, blazing through the app he was on, "How many grapes go into one bottle of wine?"

"About seven hundred."

"What do you call a group of bunnies?"

"A fluffle."

"The average color of the universe itself is called?"

"Cosmic latte."

"What does a space comet smell like?"

"Rotten eggs."

"How?" Tate's face began to glow with a red color, "How are you doing this? You got to be cheating."

"Guess I got lucky."

Students around us were gazing in our direction, some stares were of concern while others were interested in what was happening.