Chapter 13

The New Year came and went without the Hamms making any moves. Waiting for them to reveal their plan wore on my nerves. The winter social scene was wonderfully quiet. There was more time for reading, writing, and other hobbies. I saw Henry, Regina, Fred, and other friends a few times a week, but in much less formal situations. Henry still acted smitten with me and was making fewer efforts to hide it from those around us. The days I could sit in my suite reading books or writing in my diary were bliss. I missed being a poor humble graduate student who couldn't go out every day.

Whenever I saw Regina, she spoke endlessly about her impending nuptials to Mr. Fred Baxter. Her excitement was contagious. As March drew closer, I began counting the days until the wedding. She shared all the details with me. Her wedding dress would be white like Queen Victoria's, of course. The maid of honor and best man were the bride and groom's younger siblings. The wedding would take place in a charming Anglican chapel, and the reception would be at a hotel across the street.

March 12, 1874, the day of the wedding, arrived. It was a morning wedding, which Uncle Cunningham told me was the norm. Weddings had to be before noon. The ceremony was followed by a reception at the home of a relative. This wedding had so many guests they decided to rent a ballroom instead. If it was going to be in a ballroom, there might as well be dancing. It might have been unusual, but I was looking forward to it. Uncle Cunningham told me all about weddings as we ate breakfast that morning, bombarding me with a dizzying amount of etiquette. I tried to remember everything he told me, but it was impossible. I decided I was better off imitating everyone around me.

We departed our home at 10:30, wearing our best wedding attire. Uncle Cunningham sported a fine morning suit complete with a gray vest and black top hat. I chose to wear a dress of dark lilac with a lighter ruffled underskirt and matching hat. The gathering of the bustle was ridiculous, but fashion seemed to be moving in that direction, much to my dismay. When we arrived at the church, I saw what I expected. Large bunches of flowers hung off of each pew and rich fabric draped between them. The decorations fit the occasion. The union of Fred and Regina was a beautiful occasion that deserved a bit of pomp and circumstance.

I had been to my share of weddings in my day. As the service began, I noticed not much had changed. Yes, the clothes, speech, and a line or two in the vows changed over the decades, but all the important things were there. When Regina and her father walked down the aisle, she looked radiant, and Fred looked over the moon as she walked toward him. Their happiness grew as the ceremony progressed, and when the vicar pronounced them man and wife, their joy washed over the guests. Fred and Regina didn't kiss, which I found disappointing. Heaven forbid a married couple kiss. Uncle said it was unthinkable to even speak of kissing among others. They didn't seem to mind, though.

On our way to the reception, Uncle Cunningham reminded me that I had to say "congratulations" to Fred, and "best wishes" to Regina. I didn't understand the reason he gave, but it seemed important to him. It had something to do with congratulating Fred because Regina accepted and telling Regina you hoped she chose well. The distinction seemed arbitrary, but a lot of things in the Victorian era were.

Uncle Cunningham and I were placed at a table with the Stowe family and someone's second cousin once removed. The lunch passed with interesting conversation and ample laughter. The Hamms sat near the front of the reception room with the rest of the couple's family. I didn't have to talk to Henry until the dancing portion of the afternoon began. The music started, and it wasn't long before I saw Henry making his way to me. I groaned.

"Be brave, my dear," whispered Mr. Cunningham. He patted my arm encouragingly.

"Do I gotta?" I was enjoying myself, and pretending to flirt with Henry would dampen my mood.