Chapter 2

Plebeian (noun) - a commoner; common people

_______________________________________

CONSTANCE

"Where are you, C?" Octavia asked over the phone with a hint of panic in her voice.

I pumped a few Miss Dior on my wrist and neck before going downstairs. I am so late at the funeral. Octavia told me earlier that they are already at Arkin's house sa Makati and knowing Astrid's state right now, she really needs me.

"I'm on my way. Please hold Astrid for a little while, okay?" I said to Octavia and ran towards sa labas ng house and sumakay sa car ko-- a black Audi S2.

After we knew about Lolo Vito death, Astrid became so distraught. She really loved that poor old man kahit na 'yung boyfriend niya naman talaga ang may lolo. Maybe because they have the same interest regarding architectures and real estates since Lolo Vito is an architect and Astrid is taking Real Estate Management. Or maybe because of the fact that her real father cannot be affectionate like Lolo Vito towards her.

I mean, what can I say? Daddy issue is kicking in, I guess.

Quarter to 8 p.m. na when I arrived at Arkin's house. Surprisingly, there are no media or paparazzi swarming outside the house which I find odd because it's Vito Mayer who just died-- the architect and owner of the largest mall chain here in the Philippines, the Golden Century Mall.

But I also thought that maybe Tita Helga-- Lolo Vito's daughter and Arkin's mom, controlled the media from breaking the news out until they are ready. Tito Octavio-- Octavia's dad, is the owner of FLTV Network and Tita Helga's friend so there's no doubt that there's a media blockage happening here.

I let the valet outside park my Audi and I ran carefully inside the house. I saw familiar business owners, CEOs, and angel investors as I ran. I just politely nodded and smiled at them, not letting them interrupt me. 

My phone rang again and Octavia's name blared through the screen. I answered it immediately.

"I'm here, where are you?" I asked, not letting her chastise me for being late. 

Okay, let me tell you that Arkin's house is insanely huge. All of our houses are enormous and grand, but the Fitzgerald mansion is on another level. Maybe because of the fact that they are in the architecture and engineering field, their house is just... I don't know, exceptional.

"We're here in the gazebo sa dulo ng west wing. Hurry, kanina ka pa hinahanap ni Astrid," Octavia said and I just said okay and nag-hurry na agad akong pumunta sa gazebo.

Even though Arkin's house is big, I already memorize my way here. All the four of us are basically childhood best friends so we basically grew up together, meaning that we visit each other's houses from time to time. 

Bermuda grass and vintage angel statues greeted me when I made my way out of the west wing corridor. Nakita ko agad na nakaupo sila Astrid and Octavia sa wooden chair sa gazebo. It's dark outside but the fairy lights hanging above the gazebo and around the garden illuminates the place. It's like a straight-out-of-the-romance-book kind of garden, if you'll ask me.

As usual, Astrid is still weeping and Octavia is caressing her back to comfort her. Their eyes went into my direction when they heard my Valentino heels stomped into the grass, making a hissing-like sound.