Chapter Fifteen

Matilda walks into the courtyard of the compound and sees a very dead Papa Tunde lying in a circle of salt "Damon!" she shouts

Matilda walks into the courtyard of the compound and sees a very dead Papa Tunde lying in a circle of salt "Damon!" she shouts. Damon appears next to her "Shit." he comments. "Keep Niah upstairs until we've sorted this, I don't want her to see this." Matilda tells him. "On it." Damon nods, speeding upstairs as Matilda calls Klaus. "Ilda?" he asks. "Uh, we got a special delivery." Matilda tells him, staring at the body as more vampires arrive and murmur in shock. "Would you care to elaborate?" Klaus asks her. "Either our witch problems are over, or they're just get started." She tells him. Klaus hangs up "Matilda?" Elijah asks. "Uncle 'Lijah. I think we have a problem." she tells him, motioning to the body. Elijah's eyes widen as he goes over to the body, stopping to look at his niece "Are there any spells that could harm anyone going near the body?" he asks. Matilda closes her eyes and reaches out with her magic "No, not that I can feel." she responds.

Klaus and Marcel soon get back, watching Elijah examine the body "Can I get you anything, brother? A magnifying glass? A pipe, perhaps?" Klaus asks. "You have a theory you'd like to share with us, Niklaus?" Elijah asks. "Back in the day, the witches wanted to send a threat, they'd just kill a chicken and leave it on your doorstep." Marcel pipes up. "It's rather a large and ominous chicken, wouldn't you say?" Elijah tells him. "Papa Tunde defeated Rebekah with ease, almost got the three of us as well. If he was supposed to be the prize fighter, why leave him for dead in our front yard?" Klaus asks. Rebekah walks in and joins them "Well, don't you look cheery. Listen to this. A girl literally exploded from a grave today as Sabine was giving a tour of the city of the dead. It was Monique Deveraux." she tells them. "What?" Matilda asks. "The tourists thought it was part of the show, but the witches are celebrating like it's some kind of bloody miracle." Rebekah responds. "Maybe it is. They think that all hope is lost, but now suddenly a Harvest girl is resurrected. This is how we're gonna get Davina back-– kill the witch who took her place." Marcel tells them. Just then, Hayley returns home "I have a theory about who one of them could be. Celeste. I mean, it's got to be. Davina was trying to tell us, she was drawing pictures of Celeste. She was warning us that a great evil is coming." she explains. "First, Papa Tunde returns to settle old scores, now your murdered lover is back. This isn't witches attacking vampires. They're declaring war on us." Klaus realises.

Matilda joins Klaus as he goes to see Cami in the church, having found out he's been hexed "I got your message. Where's Kieran now?" Klaus asks, sitting next to Cami as Matilda stands to the side. "In the attic, resting. Praying. He's gonna go crazy and die, isn't he? Just like Sean. And we'll still be in this stupid fight because he lied to me about the witches. And vampires. And you." Cami responds. "Camille. I can see why you hate me. Truth be told, I have done some dreadful things. But the lies your uncle told were meant to protect you. He is a good man with a loyal heart, and he is your family. As for these witches, their attack on Kieran should be proof enough they are the enemy. In that, we are united." Klaus tells her, standing up. Cami stands and follows him with Matilda, pulling out a blade "Klaus?" she says, making him look at the blade. Cami passes it to him "This is Papa Tunde's blade." she tells them. "A witch gave it to me. Said it would cause untold pain and torment, even to an Original.  She said if I stuck it in your heart, she'd heal Kieran." Cami explains. "And yet, you chose to reject their offer." Matilda tells er. "Maybe if I were more like you two, I could do it, but I'm not-" she starts. "A monster?" Klaus asks. "I'm not stupid. If there's a war going on, I wanna be on the winning side." Cami corrects, Klaus smiling. "Let's see what we can do about saving your uncle, shall we?" Klaus smiles.

Once on the attic, Matilda sits opposite Kieran "I can try siphoning it from you." she tells him. "Do it." he nods. Matilda nods and takes the hand holding the hex, focusing on the hex she focuses on siphoning it. After a minute she starts coughing, dropping Kieran's hand as black starts coming from her mouth "Ilda!" Klaus exclaims, gently rubbing her back. "I-I can't it's too dark. I can't siphon it." she explains, black also coming from her nose. "Come on, Plan B." Klaus decides, helping Matilda downstairs into the main church. Matilda's legs wobble, making Klaus pick her up and sit her in a pew. Cami walks over and passes Matilda some tissues and a bottle of water "Thank you. I'm sorry it didn't work." Matilda tells her. "We still have Plan B." Cami smiles slightly, Matilda nodding in response.

Klaus bites into the palm of his hand and let his blood drip into a communion goblet while Father Kieran and Cami watch, Kieran clearly appalled "You've gotta be kidding me." he says. "A vampire is trying to reverse a witch's hex placed on you, and it's the cup you find sacrilegious?" Klaus asks, Matilda weakly smiling. Kieran slices open the palm of his hand and places it in the basin of holy water, Cami watching on skeptically "Are you sure this is going to work?" she asks. "Not remotely. But, I can't attempt to use my compulsion to counter Bastianna's curse if the good Father has vervain in his system. Thus, we bleed him out. I never said this would be pleasant." Klaus responds. "Just do what you have to do." Cami sighs. Matilda drinks some more of the water, going to stand but wobbling. Klaus is immediately at her side, helping her back into her seat "Easy, Ilda. you need to get back to strength." he tells her. "I'm alright, just went dizzy for a sec." she responds, rubbing her temples slightly.

Matilda watches as Klaus hands Kieran the communion goblet full of his blood "Drink up. It will heal your wound." he tells him. Kieran reluctantly drinks Klaus' blood "I think you've suffered enough. You will overcome what the witches did to you. You will resist the dark urges of their hex." Klaus compels. "Did it work?" Cami asks after a moment. "How do I know if it worked? All I know is that the vervain is out, and I'm at the mercy of this murderous bastard. I bet you find that really funny, don't you, Cami? You little– I'm sorry. I don't know why I said that." Kieran says. "Well, I guess that's our answer." Klaus says, clearly disappointed. Matilda stands up and goes to leave with her Uncle "Wait, Klaus, Matilda! Where are you going? What are we going to do?" Cami calls after them. "Plan C." Matilda tells her. "We're gonna find the witch who did this, and then I'm gonna do what I do best." Klaus clarifies, leaving with his niece.

The two of them get to the compound to find Sophie failing at her locator spell "I'm giving you whatever I can pick up." she tells Marcel. "Keep trying." he tells her. "Or don't. Who needs a locator spell when I have all the leverage I need right here?" Klaus asks, grabbing Monique and speeding out with her and Matilda. They reach the Cauldron and walk through the streets with Monique "Witches of the French Quarter! We have with me Monique Deveraux. What a shame it would be were I forced to sent her back to the death she's just escaped! Should you wish to prevent this, bring us the witch Bastianna!" Klaus tells everyone. "The hell you think you're doing?" Marcel asks, catching up to them. "I'm opening negotiations." Klaus responds. "You know my rules. We do not hurt kids." Marcel says, giving Matilda a disappointed look. "Don't look at me like that Marcel. The witches lost my compassion when they kidnapped my daughter." Matilda glares at him. "Spare me the hypocrisy of your moral code. It didn't stop you from killing Monique's mother. Bastianna! I know you're close. The stench of witches hangs in the air. Mark my words! I will end this girl with the very blade you meant for me." Klaus shouts. "I'm not saying it again. We do not kill kids." Marcel warns.

Klaus holds the blade to Monique's throat, Marcel speeding over and pushing his hand into Matilda's chest. Matilda gasps as she feels Marcel's hand round her heart "Marcel, let her go or I will kill you." Klaus threatens, his hybrid features showing. "M-Marcel..." Matilda chokes, blood coming from her mouth as she looks at her cousin in betrayal. Marcel removes his hand and snaps her neck, gently lying her on the floor.