Chapter Fourteen

Flashbacks are in italics

Matilda smiles as she walks with her Uncle "Ilda, they are not going to like you wearing trousers

Matilda smiles as she walks with her Uncle "Ilda, they are not going to like you wearing trousers." Klaus tells her with a smile. "Please, they don't like me in general." Matilda responds. "Gentlemen, make yourselves at home. Mayor O'Connell appears to be running late, but there's much to discuss, so I shall begin." Elijah tells the men gathered. "One moment, please, brother. You know how much I enjoy these illicit, little gatherings. Besides, this is a good learning opportunity for our dear niece." Klaus says, walking down the stairs with Matilda directly behind him. Some of the men scowl at the trousers "Do not be troubled. Despite my brother's reputation, I can assure you, we've invited you here to broker in peace. You have my word." Elijah tells the men. "And, lucky for you, my brother always keeps his word. You two are from the Guerrera crime family, a brutish pack of thieves and killers. And that's nothing compared to what you become on a full moon, is it?" Klaus asks. "Yes, yes, yes. Of course, a bite from your kind is not lethal to an Original. Conflict between us would not end well for you at all. Let's state our proposal here. My brother and I control the ports of the city, but with Prohibition soon to be the law of the land, there'll be a certain uptick in the kind of federal presence we prefer to avoid. Therefore, I'd like to suggest a system whereby-- under our supervision, of course-- the Guerrera family can traffic alcohol into the city of New Orleans for a profit. We would still be in charge, but our rule would remain a secret." Elijah tells the werewolves.

Man walks into the room with two younger men behind him, Matilda feeling power coming from them "This all sounds very good, but tell me, how will it benefit the witches?" the man asks. "I am sorry. This is a private meeting." Elijah tells him. "Yes, for kings of the city. But I, too, am a king, and I have rules." the man responds. "I'm impressed. You're either quite ambitious or quite mad. What's your name, mate?" Klaus asks, seeing the look in Matilda's eyes. "I am Alphonse Bellatunde Delgado-- Papa Tunde to my followers-- and I come to ask that the witches be granted fair tribute for allowing your existence in our city." Papa Tunde responds. "Are you suggesting that you speak for the French Quarter witches?" Matilda asks. "I do now, and I expect our future negotiations to go very smoothly. As a guarantee, I brought a gift. I await our next gathering." he responds, his twin sons placing a medium-sized leather case onto their table before they leave with him. Everyone else gathers around and watches as Klaus lifts the lid on the case, finding the severed head of Mayor O'Connell inside. Matilda frowns at the symbol carved into it "Well, I suppose we'll need a new mayor." Klaus remarks.

" Klaus remarks