CHAPTER 13: Friend or Foe?

ODESSA

Liam and I are in an intense stare off and—oh if looks could kill we'd both be dead.

He's looking at me like I killed his childhood cat and I am looking at him like I want to punch him—maybe it's because I am about to.

Who knows?

"Come on guys, let's just relax." Jonathan smiles nervously from my peripheral view. "We're all friends here," that sentence makes me break first.

God, they really like to use that word.

"Is this your plan?" Liam is still staring. "To continue to fuck with me and do my head in?"

"What is your problem?"

I look at Jonathan but his eyes are jumping between us. I was hoping he'd have an idea since I don't have a clue what all this is really about.

It can't be because his roommate took me to a fundraiser, where he left with another girl. And if it is, why does Liam care if JJ bribes me with Pinkberry sundaes. He just wants me to teach him how to play the acoustic guitar, so he can impress the said girl he left with.

"Drop the innocent act Vecker." He says when I stand up.

"What are—"

"Is that why you catfished me? To fuck with my head."

"What are you talking about?" I may look calm but my heart is threatening to jump out of my chest.

I really hope I misheard him.

"I know what you did. How you lied to me, how you made me think someone was using your pictures to catfish me when in truth it was you all along."

He says the last part louder making some people gasp. Or is it me?

"That's right, I was never catfished." He looks at a perplexed Jonathan. "It was her all along, she's the liar."

I can't believe this is really happening. I feel stung and...oh my God this is really happening.

Shit.

"Odessa Vecker..."

Liam's voice overpowers the thundering in my chest. I don't even care that he mispronounced my name.

"...had me looking for a ghost all these months and didn't even bother to tell me the truth when we became...friends. You called us?"

He's talking to JJ but the scornful way he says friends is crippling me.

So yeah, this is my life now...super great (queue the ominous music and dark themes.)

"Is this true?" Jonathan's eyes are on me, "it was really you all along?"

"Yes Vecker." Liam is like a dog with a bone. "How about you tell JJ the truth. Might as well tell someone, right?"

This was the worst the playboy could do.

Public humiliation, really?

Are we back in high school?

I look at everyone in the shop and to my surprise nobody has their phone out to record this moment. Then again about 6 people are in here (including the staff) and they all look too shocked to even move.

"What was your goal huh? What was the end game?" My silence seems to be fueling his bubbling anger.

Hint: I'm quiet because I'm focused on holding back my tears. This is not how I saw this fight going.