The Tides That Bind Us - A Review by @elveloy

Review – The Tides That Bind Us by IntoTheTempest

reviewed by elveloy

One of the prime goals of Tevun Krus is to introduce us, as both writers and readers, to the different sub-genres of Science Fiction, especially those unfamiliar or even entirely new to us

Being a white woman living in Australia, I didn't feel that a story from me would be representative of this genre, so I decided to write a short review of an existing story instead.

I searched for an example on Wattpad by using the hashtag #AfroFuturism and a small list of 88 stories appeared, many related to an earlier edition of Tevun Krus.

At the top of the list was The Tides That Bind Us [AfroFuturism] by IntoTheTempest. Perfect, I thought!

How lucky can you get? I found one of the best stories I have read on Wattpad for some time.

The year is 2163 and Zaharah, a budding artist, and her younger sister Jade, who is non-verbal, live on a giant metal boat floating around the Caribbean, along with their caretaker Markus, (an android) and Scorpi, a mechpet complete with pincers and a stinger, but no venom.

A fatal accident left both girls orphaned, and Zaharah a long period in recovery, which she is still coming to terms with.

Their community of Denden is ruled by the Director, a powerful woman who has taken the two young women under her wing, encouraging Zaharah's art and even looking after Jade while Zaharah was recovering.

Everything seems to be on track for Zaharah to completed her art degree and provide a better life for her sister, when she receives an anonymous email, "The Director is not your friend."

Is the message a trick or a genuine warning? You'll have to read the story to find out. Weave your way through the various realities; virtual, implanted, or actual.

What makes this story special in my opinion, apart from the intriguing plot and diverse characters, is the beautiful language and the vivid images the writer conjures up.

"If darkness could speak, what would it say?" One of my favourite lines.

And her description of a virtual reality, "Filled with personality, but not any persons."

The Tides That Bind Us [AfroFuturism] is a beautifully crafted story, well worth a read and a great example of the genre.

Highly Recommended.