Chapter 7 Treasonous

Two Days Later

"Alright, remember, you are just testifying. There's nothing you need to worry about. You are in no trouble."

Y/N stands there in the closest thing she had to courtroom attire. "No, I'm just testifying against someone and could affect their whole future."

Remus looks at her with some sort of assurance. "Just tell the truth and you'll be fine."

"Of all the people that were in the Ministry that night, why in Godric's name call me to speak against Lucius Malfoy." She scoffs.

"Because your name holds power to it. They know you won't lie to them. And they also know your word means more than anyone else that was found there that night. Of course, with a Daily prophet journalist in there, it probably also has to do with calling attention away from what's important."

"Lovely," Sparks says

"Lovely," Sparks says. "I'm a distraction."

He just stands silent for a second.

"Y/N Arcturus Sparks.." She rambles. "aristocrat, golden heart, bloody billionaire.."

The girl keeps going. "Did they tell you that? I've gone from a million to billions like it's nothing."

"Y/N-"

'-And all of it, the appearances, the writing, the testing of my dignity, adds up to this. The scandalous and page-clutching story of Y/N Arcturus Sparks testifying in court against her former lover's father."

"It's not-"

"-but I suppose they do not know it is former so they can say that I'm testifying against my boyfriend's father."

The man watches and pieces the puzzle with her. And as they feel the reality sink in, Sparks feels her heart sink below the floor.

"That bastard." She scoffs. "Lucius Malfoy had his attorney call me here to pull eyes off him. To be the new cover photo for the Daily Prophet."

Remus looks to Y/N as she falls to a deafening silence. An ear-piercing, high-pitched silence that could take out the entire Ministry. 

"Y/N?"

The sound of sniffling comes out from her and he walks closer. "Y/N, it'll be alrig-"

She crouches to the ground with her hand to her face.

"Y/N!"

The girl suddenly cries out, not in tears, but laughter. The man looks around them extremely confused. Is she actually laughing right now?

"Y/N?"

Sparks lets out a cackle and can't stop. "I'm sorry."

She can feel him looking at her like she's radioactive, but just keeps laughing. "This is so fucked. I mean. My parents. Are dead." Y/N hits her hand against the ground with a outburst of further chuckling.