Chapter 8 Confliction

Time runs in a manner, slower than freezing to death. With every ticking of that clock, Y/N can feel herself losing more and more patience to sit here. And the same man she sat in front of two weeks ago looks at her with that same look he did then.

 And the same man she sat in front of two weeks ago looks at her with that same look he did then

"I saw a paper the other day about you. People are saying that your speech was that of the greatest. One that won't soon be forgotten, how do you feel about that?"

Sparks looks at the ground and shakes her head. "Who cares"

She can feel his eyes on her. "The world's eyes on you doesn't sound like nothing. I couldn't imagine the sort of pressure linked to that."

"It's fine."

The man observes her like she's got two heads. "Fine is often used when people are anything but, Are you s-"

"-Have you ever loved someone so much that your heart ached?"

He takes a second. "I mean, n-"

"-someone who you literally would have given the world for, only to have them rip it all to shreds?"

"I have experienced heartbreak, yes."

Y/N nods. "Well, let's say, this person who broke your heart, is now in trouble."

The clock ticks. "Trouble?"

"Like, life risking, death defying, disastrous trouble. And one part of you wants to turn a blind eye to it. Pretend like nothing's going on. You want to let them deal with it alone. Because they let you hurt all on your own. They allowed to fall into a dark place that you had to bring yourself out of over time. And now, that you're finally over it, they're in trouble and they need help. And you want to let them keep needing help. But there's this small part of you, that still cares. And it's one of those small parts that most of the time, you didn't really notice, you know? But now it's becoming like a mosquito in your ear, buzzing and sounding your alarms. How do you know which part of yourself to  listen to?"

Light shines through the window onto the floor. "You don't."

Sparks looks across the desk and feels lost in that answer. "w- Why?"

"Because it's complicated. I don't know what's going on, Y/N, but this situation sounds messy. Could you elaborate more on it?"

"I can't," She shakes her head. "I wish I could, but I can't. What's driving me insane is that this little buzzing in my ear could lead me to help them. But it could also lead me to take myself down with them. So I want to ignore it, but this tiny voice in the back of my head is telling me to run towards it."

"I'm not going to tell you what choice to make," The doctor tells her. "I'm not you, I can't make a decision for you. What I can say, is that it's okay to look out for yourself. You as a person, and every other person, we have to be able to take care of ourselves. And if this situation you're in is risking yourself and your safety, It may be the right decision for you, to look out for yourself. That doesn't mean you have to let the other person go down, you could speak to an adult about getting help for them."