Stable Hand 3/5

A/N: Hope you enjoy this chapter! I'm still tired but since it's almost the weekend I'll get some more sleep and hopefully update more.

Summer was slipping away and it was starting to get colder. This was probably your least favorite part of the job. Many summers ago one of the Queen's prized mares had passed away from delivering a foal at night. All of the stable hands at the time had been sleeping in their assigned servant's quarters in the palace.

All of the stable hands had been executed and ever since then it was mandatory for a person to be in the stable at all times. Because of that, your bedroom was in the small hayloft above the main stable. It wasn't the warmest place, even if Mister Riley always gave you a plethora of blankets.

On top of that, you had to make sure the heater didn't run out of firewood throughout the night. Both things meant that you were very sleep deprived during the winter. Normally it wasn't too big of a deal, but also you were normally very alone during the winter.

Now you were busy juggling the crown prince and princess as well as more duties than ever. On top of that, the younger prince had won a brand new stallion at a horse race that needed to be trained.

You found yourself rushing around a lot. You barely had time to sit down and eat lunch or breakfast. Most of the time you were too tired for dinner. You ended up living off the pieces of fruit or leftover lunch the royals would 'subtly' leave for you.

You'd fall into bed only to force yourself awake a couple of hours later to run outside to lug in more firewood.

It all came to a head the day of the first snow of the season.

You were shivering as you worked, despite the heat of the furnace on your back. You brushed the horse in front of you, spacing out until the stable door open and closed. You shook your head, dropping the brush and rubbing your arms.

"Stable hand!" It was the princess. She usually only visited you around late morning, before the crown prince came. Was it that late already?

You peeked out of the stall, stumbling over to where she stood by the stable doors. She was wearing a fur lined shawl that looked really warm. 

"You don't look good." She said, removing a stylish glove to lay her hand against her forehead. Her palm felt like ice and made you flinch back for a second before leaning into it. Her cool fingers dulled a nagging pain that reverberated through your skull. You could hardly hear her gasp as black spots filled your vision.

Maybe... maybe a quick nap would be alright...

˚˖°.𓃗⊹ ࣪ ˖

"They aren't going to die if you look away." A voice said from the doorway. Gaston, the normally arrogant and prideful crown prince, looked up from your bedside. He had resigned himself to sitting beside you until you woke again.

Your bout of sickness and sudden fainting had scared his sister, Adela, into a foul mood. She was probably off somewhere, torturing her handmaids or guards. He had to be there for you, you had no one else. He had to be a good big brother to you.

Standing in the doorway, holding a few books, was the youngest prince. Prince Ash, who was only a bit older than you, stared down his older brother. He sighed, entering the room, eyeing your sleeping form warily.

"Why are you so hung up over a commoner anyway?" He murmured, setting his books down on your bedside. Before Gaston could answer he interrupted. "Go. Eat something and take a bath. You stink. I'll take up your post."

The two had a silent stare down between each other which Gaston lost. He huffed from the room, probably hoping to return quickly. It seemed rather silly to Ash, to be so concerned over someone who wasn't even related to you. Maybe you had cast a spell over his older siblings.

At least it made things more interesting...

˚˖°.𓃗⊹ ࣪ ˖

Ash could hear you murmuring before your eyes opened. You were still with fever, despite the cool towel resting on your forehead. You murmured a little to yourself, none of it making much sense.

"Don't try and get up." He ordered when he saw you moving. It seemed you'd finally registered his presence there, staring at him with wide eyes.

"Who... are you?" You slowly asked. Your voice was a little rough and nasally sounding from your sickness. Ash found himself thinking that it was probably a lovely voice when you were well. Looking into your eyes, so open and trusting, he could see what his siblings had fallen in love with about you.

"I am your big brother, Ash." He answered, setting aside his book. He reached for the towel on your forehead, rewetting it in a cool basin of water before replacing it. 

If you hadn't been so sick, if your mind hadn't been so fuzzy, you would've questioned it. Instead you just felt a rush of happiness that someone cared enough about you to take care of you. You started to drift off again, feeling safe and warm.

"Thank you... big brother."

Ash grinned, gently taking your hand. A new baby sibling would definitely make things more interesting. The only remaining hurdle was his parents, the ruthless king and queen.