Spirits 2/4

As the sun began to set your unease with the area returned tenfold. You still hadn't heard anything from your parents or siblings and were beginning to think that they had forgotten about you. So you decided to be the bigger person and go looking for them.

Aspen watched with curiosity as you tucked your sketchbook and pencils back into your bag and stood from your spot on the grass. You'd finished your drawing a bit ago and you were beginning to get hungry. The few snacks you'd packed for yourself had been inadequate in the long run.

Aspen caught up to you as you began to walk, gently grabbing ahold of your arm. 

"The... locals... aren't the fondest of outsiders," he explained. "So I'll walk with you. They should leave you alone then."

So, you let him walk with you. The sun had fully disappeared and the moon was rising. The smell of delicious food hung over the restaurant district but you refused to look up from your feet... until a light came on.

One by one, the booths all around you lit up. The light seemed welcoming but the patrons and staff told a different story. Each resembled a vaguely humanoid blob the color of ink with two glowing white eyes.

They went about their business, sitting at the booths and being served while you looked on in horror. It was Aspen squeezing your hand that snapped you out of it and you turned to him, eyes wide.

He was still human... for the most part. Two delicate looking fox ears had appeared on top of his head and several bushy tails sprouted from his lower back. His eyes, once a regular hazel, seemed to glow golden in the dim lighting. He grinned at you, his mouth full of sharp teeth.

"You're quite the lucky little human, aren't you?" He asked. He was practically dragging you along at this point, navigating the marketplace with ease. His grip on your arm grew firmer as you started to struggle. "So smart and cute! You'd make the perfect little sibling. I'm sure father would love you! Micah as well, but his opinion doesn't matter."

"W-Wait-! Let me go!" You were struggling with all your might but nothing was working. The only thing being accomplished was your growing fatigue.

"See, we spirits don't like sharing what we believe to be ours. We're very possessive like that. So, when it comes to food most of it is cursed!" Aspen finally stopped in front of a restaurant. Sitting at one of the tables were four giant pigs, scarfing down plate after plate of food. You got the insinuation as icy cold fear shot through your body.

"M-Mom? Dad?" You whispered. You wanted to approach them, to see that this was all some elaborate prank. Aspen's grip on your arm proved otherwise.

"I wouldn't approach them right now. Transformation magic, especially curses, are rather finicky when they first take effect. Seeing as you are a full blooded human right now, you could find yourself under it's influence as well." He said, sending your formerly human family members a look of distain.

A low gong rang through the district and all the spirits stopped and looked up. You were shaking in fear as a large shape with giant wings flew overhead, directly towards the bath house. Aspen smiled, tugging you back in the direction you'd come from.

"Seeing as you can't be left alone, you are a child after all, I'll take you to father! Besides, it's almost dinner time!"

-----------

Seeing as it was cursed food that turned your family into pigs you weren't looking forward to dinner. Aspen had carried you all the way to the bath house after your attempt at dragging your feet had caused you to trip.

He'd plopped you into a fine velvety chair at a tall dining table. There were three other chairs, and he'd taken the one beside you. He was rambling on again, the same way he had while you drew, only now it felt more sinister. 

You jumped when the giant door to the dining room slammed open and another boy strode in. Instead of being part fox, he seemed to be part wolf. He looked older than Aspen and did a double take upon seeing you at the table.

"Aspen. Why is there some small human at our table?" He growled out. You shrunk into yourself, which wasn't helping any allegations about your size.

"It is fine, Micah. The human child may stay and enjoy a meal with us." A deeper voice rumbled from behind the wolf spirit. The voice belonged to a giant man who exuded a regal and powerful aura. His eyes were the color of melted gold but his hair was pitch black. He took his position at head of the table while Micah sat across from Aspen. 

"What is your name, human?" The man asked, smiling at you kindly. Despite this, you couldn't shake the fear away.

"Y-Y/N..." You answered quietly. Your hands shook in your lap, but the man didn't seem to notice.

"That's a beautiful name. You may call me father." He tapped his knife against a opulent golden goblet causing a spread of food to appear on the table in front of the four of you. 

"Well then, dinner is served. I hope you enjoy it."