100. Lucknow Diaries - part 3

It was just 9 pm, not really that late into the night for Delhiites like Raizadas, but most of Lucknow already seemed asleep as Arnav who was returning from his work meeting in outskirts of the city, noticed. It had been a busy first day of his stay here. Waking up in the morning in Khushi's old bedroom to go to a vegetable market to do veggie shopping, he was finally reminded of his erstwhile CEO role by none other than his workwife-er-manager Aman Mathur! Aman hated to do this to his boss, who he knew was with his family in Lucknow, but keeping his "tradition" of reminding ASR about his other family, he had called Arnav to remind about his in-person visit to one of their suppliers.

And now, sitting in the back seat, as his driver was taking the car through the central part of old Lucknow, Arnav was suddenly hit with a wave of nostalgia. His old school was on this road, where he went till, he was 14, and then just a few blocks away, was their - was 'Sheesh Mahal'. He wasn't sure what to call that anymore. A childhood home, a place where he lost his everything, a symbol of winning it back to prove his power, or the place where he gained his everything again, where he met Khushi! Sheesh mahal was currently managed by one of the management firms Arnav had appointed. He and Khushi did talk about it once or twice as this was a tricky topic to discuss, and Khushi respected his wishes to not 'stay' there ever. In the past few times they were in Lucknow, he was somehow "busy" for paying a visit. But was it about time now to take Khushi here and some new beginnings? He sighed deeply as he watched a lightened up Sheesh mahal standing in its glory. Arnav felt as if his house was calling out to its rightful owner to come see it once...

.

.

Chiku had so far loved staying with his Nana, Nani and bua nani. They pampered him so much, never stopped him from doing anything and made yummy food for him. In fact, his Nana ji had brought spicy-tangy Kachoris in the evening from their own shop! And sizzling hot Jalebis too! In short, Chiku Singh Raizada was a happy kid in his nanihal (maternal grandparents' place)!

But looked like he spoke too soon!

Because as he and his sisters sat for dinner, his bua nani served him a green curry which she called 'methi ka saag (fenugreek leaves' curry)' and bajre ki roti(millet bread)! Raizadas rarely made these dishes, especially this version of methi and Chiku only ate curries if it had paneer in it!

"Mamma!" Chiku tugged at Khushi's hand who was standing by his side and as she bent to his level, he whispered, "Kuch aur do na(give me something else)."

Khushi smiled sitting beside him and said, "Chiku, aap bina khaye kaise keh sakte ho(how can you say without trying this)? Your bua nani has made it for you with so much love, eat a little and see if you like it. Aur waise aap ko pata hai (and do you know), this is called 'power food', meaning it gives you strength. Especially in this cold weather." Khushi told both Kavish and Piya who was also listening curiously.

"Really mamma?" "Really maasi?" both the kids asked in unison.

"Bilkul.  Ab try karoge(will you eat now)?" Khushi asked, making him a morsel, and feeding him.

Chiku nodded, "Ok."

Khushi then fed a bite to Piya too.

However, Garima, who had noticed this, went to the kitchen, and quickly made some besan chilas (gram flour pancakes) which she knew kids loved!

"Amma, why did you make it? They should eat everything." Khushi got upset as she saw Garima serve the hot besan chila to Chiku who instantly ignored methi!

Garima widely smiled and said, "Khussi, don't be so hard on my kishu! He already ate some of that too na, utna kafi hai(that's enough)."

"Accha? Then why didn't you say this when Jiji and I were refusing to eat things we didn't like? Hum aap ke pyare nahi the(Weren't we as dear)?" Khushi asked, following Garima into the kitchen.

Choti Si Duniya - ArShi FFजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें