Chapter 40

There I found myself in Draco's room, perched on the edge of his bed, arms crossed and tears now dried. Draco and Theo paced anxiously back and forth.

"Emilia, are you out of your mind?" Theo exclaimed.

"For once, I agree with Theo, Emilia Jane. What the hell was that?" Draco added.

"Look, I couldn't let you face this alone. Theo, You're the golden child of the family, and I couldn't bear to see you go through this. It had to be me," I explained, tears welling up again.

Theo offered a sympathetic look and sat beside me. "That wasn't your decision to make, Em," he whispered, pulling me into a hug.

"Is that it?" Draco interjected. "You expect me to forgive you just like that? I'm still furious with you, Emilia Jane. How am I supposed to protect you?"

"I can protect myself!" I asserted, standing up. "I don't need your protection, Draco," I declared, taking a deep breath.

Draco scowled, frustration etched across his face. "You don't get it, Emilia. This isn't about whether you can protect yourself or not. It's about trust. How can I trust you when you make decisions like this?"

"Draco, don't be like—"

"I'm serious, Emilia Jane! What happened to it being just you and me?"

"Which is exactly why I did it, Draco," I said, approaching him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, attempting to make him look at me.

"It's just you and me, Draco and Emmy," I whispered, grabbing his chin and turning his face toward me.

"It's going to take me some time to forgive you, but know that I love you, and I don't want to see you get hurt."

I took a deep breath. "Trust me, Draco, I don't want to see you hurt either, which is why I did this. If you hurt, I hurt. If you cry, I cry."

Our foreheads are now touching, and just as we were about to kiss, "Ahem," Theo says, clearing his throat.

"I think that's my cue to leave," he says, getting up and heading to the door. But before he could exit, he stops and kisses me on the forehead. "Goodnight, little sister," he whispers.

The silence lingered between us as we got ready for bed. I could feel the weight of Draco's anger, and I knew it was my fault. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye as we moved around the room, avoiding eye contact.

I wanted to apologize, to explain, but the words stuck in my throat. I understood why he was upset – he didn't have a choice in the matter, and I did. I pulled on my pajamas, trying to keep my composure, but the tension in the room was palpable.

As we finished getting ready, Draco kissed my forehead, a faint "Goodnight, Emmy" escaping his lips. He crawled into bed, his back turned to me. I hesitated for a moment before calling out to him.

"Draco..."

He responded, his voice tight, "What, Emmy?"

He turned around to face me, and his eyes were filled with a mixture of sadness and disappointment. The tears were threatening to spill over, but I took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I just... I couldn't stand the thought of you going through that alone."

He didn't say anything, and I felt a lump forming in my throat. I reached out to hug him, and after a moment, he returned the embrace. I could feel the tension in his body, and then it happened – he broke down.

"I had no choice, Emmy," he admitted, his voice cracking. "I didn't want you to get involved."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I held him tighter. "I know, my love. I just... I care about you too much."