"I can't, I have two cats, they can't be left all night." She says, and I hum. "If you don't want to, that's fine, I could tell my brother to come home and just bring his girlfriend over, I just didn't want to interrupt them. He's not had a break from mom for months."

"Yeah, no, no, of course, I'll come over. It sounds fun, but you have to promise I get to pick one movie at least." I tell her.

"Deal."

"So, I'm guessing you want me to drive?" I assume straight up and she gives me a cheeky smile. "Why don't you just learn? It's not that hard."

"Hey! I can drive, I never said I couldn't, I just can't afford to get a car yet." Now I feel bad for even mentioning it, oh, god. "Plus, I don't need a car when I've got you."

She's got me?

***

When Scarlotte said she didn't feel safe in her neighbourhood, I didn't quite know what to expect, but when she gave me directions to the south side of town, I knew exactly what I was going to face.

Drugs, gangs, metal fenced in yards, and kids playing on the street - which may sound wholesome, but I'm talking about the kids that chase you down on bikes to scare you.

I tried to keep a clear narrative though, all I've ever known about the south side is what I've heard from other people and usually they're just horror stories.

And it wasn't as bad as I thought it first would be, it's definitely not at all what I'm used to, it's the exact opposite from the place I live, but it's not terrible or horrifying.

Scarlotte is quiet for most of the ride as we get to this side of town, looking over at me - staring - trying to examine my face and read what I'm thinking. I realise this is probably the first time she's ever had anyone over at her house from school, so not only is a big step, it could also be overwhelming for her.

She's picture perfect at school. Her hair is flat ironed every morning, makeup perfected in every way, and her clothes look like they're fresh out of the store. But outside of school, I'm slowly learning that's a total different story. She is not at all the person people think she is.

Not that where you live and what you come from changes anything - it doesn't - but this is the last thing I expected. I always assumed she lived near me with some money in her pocket.

I guess I was all wrong.

"Just be careful as you walk in, the cats like to run at the door when they hear it." She warns me, and I giggle with anticipation. I love animals, my parents hate pets and never let me have even a hamster growing up. My dream was to have a cat or a dog.

One the gate and the door in unlocked, we rush into the house like scared children as fast as we can, laughs filling the room as we do.

As warned, both cats coming running shortly after the door closes behind us. One looks like a tiger and the other is all black. They're so cute.

"Black one in Sparkle, she's my baby, I got her for my birthday when I was ten." She picks the black kitty up, laying a kiss on its head. "And this little one is Jasper. He's my brothers cat, and he's kind of a dick. He's the classic example of J name. He doesn't like to be touched, he just likes food and my brother."