Chapter Three; The Letter

"Elizabeth, you cannot stay home tonight! We have a party to attend

"Elizabeth, you cannot stay home tonight! We have a party to attend." Charlie called after her, as Ivy walked from the dining table -her skirts swishing quickly with every angry step- out into the hall, around the corner and up the stairs towards her bedroom.

Her brothers chased her all the way, calling for her to slow, but she only ran faster, tears threatening to spill down her cheeks.

'How could he?' she thought, 'I did not even meet him! I am not marrying that man, not even if he was the only available man in this world!'

"Elizabeth please!" Darwin called, "We tried to stop him, he would not listen. I am sorry!"

Ivy stopped. She turned around, standing at the top of the large staircase, facing her older brothers. Anger and sadness were plain as day on her face as she spoke,

"You have no idea how horrible this is!" she cried, "And of course father would not listen! He is father! He wants what he wants, and he shall get what he wants! Even if it means his eldest daughter shall be miserable for the rest of her husband's short life! Did you see that man last night? He is nearly fifty! I am nineteen, and he is fifty!" she cried, the tears falling down her soft cheeks.

"Come now Lizzy, you know we tried to do all we could, but it is father, and he only wants what is best for you. For all of us." Charlie begged, "Please, just come down so that we can talk about this."

Ivy exhaled, very annoyed, "I appreciate that you tried to help me, but the least you could have done, was give father a better suggestion for my husband. I would not mind marrying one of your rich, school friends -most of them are quite nice."

"If that is what you would prefer, we can arrange that. We can bring your concerns to father and provide a better suggestion for your husband. But please Lizzy, do not run off in such a huff." Charlie replied, walking slowly up the steps towards his sister.

She sighed, a hand pinching the bridge of her nose, her normally perfect posture slouched to the side in her state of anger and annoyance. "We shall see, Charlie. But please, let me have a moment to myself, I am very worked up about this whole fuss and need a moment to just, breathe." She said, attempting to speak calmly, though her voice still sounded angry and sharp.

"Very well, but we do hope you decide to join us this evening, parties are just not the same without you." Darwin added, trying to lighten the mood, but before Ivy had a moment to smile, a stern voice said from behind her brothers,

"Elizabeth Mary Jane Basset,"

The anger rose inside of her once more, as an old man walked up behind Charlie and Darwin, his dark eyes blazing, and his eyebrows furrowed.

"Father," Ivy replied coldly,

"You shall marry Mister James, or you shall remain a disappointment and an unmarried woman all your life." He spoke, going straight to the point, "If any of you has a better suggestion, come forth now or the wedding arrangements will be commencing." He lifted his chin to the three young people, an air of superiority filling the room with his one simple movement.