Beginning:

Once upon a time, in a faraway place -that actually wasn't very far away- there lived a girl

Jasmine, as her fathers named her, was a pretty, young lady. She had long golden hair, that she always kept in two long Dutch braids down to her waist, and soft hazel eyes. She never seemed to fit in, nor did she stand out; she was always just kind of there. Her poor fathers had raised her on the edge of town, afraid she would be ridiculed for not having a mother, but instead having another father. All she knew growing up, was the little cottage at the edge of town, and the route in to the little bakery, where her best friend lived.

Now, on the other side of the town, there lived another girl. She was named Elizabeth, but she always preferred the name Ivy, as that was her favourite plant in the huge garden that she practically grew up in. She was raised on the rich side of town, her father being one of the richest men of the time. Ivy had dark brown, curly, shoulder blade length hair, that she often wore down, and bright blue eyes that stood out against her dark skin. Growing up rich, she neither fit in, nor did she stand out, but as a young lady, her face was plastered everywhere as the most sought-after hand in marriage. Her father was adamant about his eldest daughter marrying as soon as possible, but Ivy herself was set on finding love before marriage.

Now, here, dear reader, our story begins. On a cold, and misting fall night, as Ivy ran, skirts and cloak billowing behind her, through the streets of London.  

~ A.N. ~

Word count - 306

Welcome to Where The Spirit Meets The Bone, a soft tale of two soon-to-be lovers living in a society that heavily frowns upon unmarried women, affairs and anything not proper. This is a short story I have spent the last year or so mulling over in my brain, that I based off a beautiful song, with lyrics that have told me this story every time I have listened to it. Please do not be shy in the comments, and vote if you enjoyed each chapter as we watch Ivy and Jasmine's story unfold.