Chapter two.

Pov: Third person

Rui's 16 here, just like Tsukasa in the previous chapter

___________________________________________

Inside a small cottage by the forest, a young sorcerer sat by his table, brewing some potions. Rui sighed, reaching over to take another ingredient for his potion.

Ever since his parents passed away, he was living with his adoptive father, Kaito. Rui was living a rather peaceful life, as the area he lived in was rarely attacked by the Light Kingdom's army.

Kaito, as a former member of the Light Kingdom who got kicked out of the kingdom just like the other sorcerers, usually told Rui a lot about the kingdom. All of the potion materials he could find there, the layout of the kingdom - everything that Kaito knew had been told Rui already.

Although, it didn't satisfy the boy - He wanted to see the kingdom for himself, maybe even fight right next to the best sorcerers and alchemists in the war? Well, Rui was already liked by the king, and the king was planning on making Rui the royal alchemist once he grows up. Especially since Rui was also one of the best alchemists in the kingdom, an intelligent one too. Ever since a young age, Rui was smart - And he was glad that the king noticed it.

Suddenly, Rui heard many footsteps outside the house. He opened the door, his eyes widening and a grin forming on his face - All of the sorcerers he admired were going to attack the Light Kingdom! Rui wished he could go with them. But then he noticed his father walking towards him and got an idea. Of course, Kaito was going with them. He was also a very great wizard.

"Rui, I will return soon. Don't leave the house, alright?" Kaito said as he ruffled his son's hair, smiling a little.

Rui sighed. "Why can't I go with you?" He asked and looked at Kaito with puppy eyes, hoping that his father will let him go too. Rui always asked him that, and the answer was the same each time - "No, Rui. Knowing you, you'd accidentally hurt our knights and we don't want that." Kaito said jokingly and chuckled.

"C'mon, dad, just once! I promise I won't beg anymore, really!" Rui kept on begging. He felt that his father was close to letting him go - Kaito's expression said it all. "..Hm, but promise you will stay hidden?" Kaito asked and narrowed his eyes.

Rui's eyes sparkled as he grinned brightly. "Yes! Yes, I promise!" He said excitedly. Rui's father chuckled and sighed, shaking his head. "C'mon, Rui. Let's go. We will be walking at the end, so you won't get caught. But you have to stay close, you hear me?" Kaito said as Rui tilted his head in confusion. "..How am I able to stay close and keep hidden at the same time?" He asked and then it hit him - Spells. "Oh! I can use the invisibility spell you taught me, right?" He questioned excitedly as the older man nodded and smiled. "Alright, let's go then." Kaito sighed and smiled warmly.

After some time, as all the knights and sorcerers were walking in the forest, Rui followed them quietly. The beauty of the forest was mesmerising and it got even prettier when they walked deeper inside. The glowing flowers, mystical creatures running between the trees and sometimes even crossing the path they were walking on..

"Woah.. So that's where the alchemists get their ingredients from? It's so.. Pretty.." Rui thought, smiling softly as he walked at the end of the group. Rui sighed and looked at where his hands should be, seeing that they were transparent which meant that the invisibility spell was still working. He looked up and smiled a little again, looking at the knights in front of him. Rui will finally see the Light Kingdom! He couldn't wait - The alchemist already saw the gates and the walls of the kingdom, until he realised - Right. They won't be enterting the kingdom. They were attacking the kingdom, not exploring it.

Rui sighed, his smile fading as he realised that. His smile widened again when they got closer and closer to the Kingdom's walls and one of the knights started making a hole in them.

Soon, the hole was big enough for them to enter - Rui swiftly slid inside with the knights. At first, everything was peaceful - Until one of Light Kingdom's Knights saw them. The knights began fighting, and Rui just hid behind some barrels, observing.

Suddenly, he saw his father getting attacked and Rui panicked, seeing the blood flowing from Kaito's wounds. He decided to interfere and quickly cast a spell, that unfortunately missed and hit one of the castle's windows. Rui teleported there, hoping that he didn't injure any other person, and then he saw him -  A young knight, leaning against the wall and fighting the urge to give up and faint. The sun shone on his blonde hair, and before Rui could even react, someone grabbed his arm, teleporting him back outside. It was Luka, a witch that Kaito was friends with. She looked at Rui with a frown, before dragging him away from the place where the battle occured.

"What were you doing here, young man?" She asked, trying to look angry even if the concern in her soft voice was evident. Rui stayed silent and just looked back in the direction where the knights were fighting. "..Will dad be okay?" He asked quietly as Luka sighed and smiled gently, placing a hand on Rui's cheek and caressing it softly. "Don't worry. Your dad will be alright. But you still haven't answered my question." She said as Rui nodded and sighed. "Well.. Dad allowed me to go with him, and when he was fighting and got injured I panicked and wanted to protect him with a spell." Rui said and looked up at Luka as the older woman sighed. "And you missed?" She guessed. The young alchemist nodded, looking away.

Luka sighed again and then wrapped an arm around Rui, slowly walking towards the forest. "It's alright. We can talk about it later. But now, let's just go home. I will take care of you until Kaito comes back, you don't have to worry."

Once they arrived back at Rui's house, Luka and the boy waited for Kaito. Time passed by, and he still hasn't arrived. Rui eventually became even more worried and couldn't sleep, so he decided to talk to the witch. But when he walked into the living room..

"..Luka-"

Rui paused, his eyes widening. Kaito was there, sitting on the couch as Luka bandaged his injuries. She looked up at Rui with a sigh before looking back at Kaito and bandaging him again.

"I'm sorry, dear. You weren't meant to see this." Luka said softly as Kaito clenched his teeth, letting out some pained grunts while the woman bandaged his wounds. Rui walked up to them and noticed something once more - A bandage on his father's right eye. At first he was shocked, but then, a wave of fury went through his veins. His father looked as if he was dying, and that was all the Light Kingdom's fault.

His father won't be able to see with one eye because of the Light Kingdom.

And that was the moment when his hatred overcame the curiosity, making Rui hate the kingdom.

___________________________________________

• I'M SORRY IT'S KINDA RUSHED??