Chapter Two

A blight that attacked familiars. An army of the dead. Rumours at first but with the spread of these stories—Briah shut her book with a sigh and uncurled from the chair in the library she'd commandeered. The book could have been in a foreign language for all she knew. The words on the pages blurred together and she stopped thinking about the content long ago.

She was far more interested in the rumours that had been seeping in from the north. Not that anyone was talking about them. The queen listened to multiple petitions weekly. More and more of them spoke of a strange illness that struck familiars. More and more spoke of a strange army of the dead. Dead soldiers without familiars.

Stories, that's all they are, the fox at her feet yawned. He rolled onto his back and stretched out his limbs before rolling back onto his stomach. His sleek, copper fur caught the sun and it burned like fire.

You don't know that, Asper, Briah shot back. What good would it do to all those people to make up the same story?

Asper tilted his head, considering her as if to say I don't know.

That's what I thought.

Briah set the book on the little table beside her chair and stood. The south facing wall of the library was mostly large bay windows that arched to the ceiling. The library looked out across the royal gardens, the maze embedded in the garden's heart. Beyond the maze were the palace walls, cutting the royal family off from the rest of Myre. Walls that were necessary to keep out the growing dissenters against Briah's great-great-great grandfather. Times had changed but the walls remained as if the queen was aware her people could turn on her at any given opportunity.

I think mother should take it more seriously, Briah said, staring out at the gardens. Several servants tended to the greenery, trimming, watering and planting. Briah's favourite garden lay at the heart of the maze, a lush vibrant space where she could hide away and not be bothered.

I'm sure she is, Asper assured her. He hopped onto the seat in front of the window and scratched his ear. But why would she cause panic if it turns out to be nothing?

Briah didn't say anything to that. She knew that her mother was probably looking into the rumours but why wasn't she doing more? The last petition said the blight was heading straight for the capital.

You're giving me a headache with all this thinking, Asper sighed, swatting her arm. Let's go do something fun. Do you think Cassir and Saeden are free to go for a ride?

Cassir is with father all day.

Briah pursed her lips. As a prince, Cassir had no claim to the throne, but as the oldest—and only—son, he would inherit the Abreathian army once their father, the king, stepped down. She didn't like the thought of her brother, sweet, gentle Cassir, destined for such a brutal fate.

Perhaps we can sneak away to the city, Briah mused, a sly smile curling her lips.

Asper stretched and nudged her hip. You already know my answer.

Briah rolled her eyes though the smile was difficult to hide. A fox, cunning, tricky. A mirror image of Briah's true self. Which meant, more often than not, Asper was up for Briah's reckless adventures. It didn't matter that the city was currently preparing for Briah's birthday celebrations.

Twenty years old. Twenty different events, held throughout the city and palace. The preparations meant additional security and more guests in the palace, but Briah knew the palace better than anyone else. She knew all the nooks and crannies, all the secret passages. Sneaking out of the palace would be easy. Sneaking past the guards and over the wall was another thing.