26 - N E W B E G I N N I N G S

Evangeline Carter

Fifty-seven days since I last spoke to Malfoy.

Fifty-seven days since I accepted that he's no longer in my life.

Fifty-seven days since I felt like I was whole.

Fifty-seven days since I fell to pieces.

I haven't acknowledged Malfoy since the fight. Although, there have been times when I have caught him staring, and he has caught me as well. We both have come to terms that what we had is long gone in the past, and all we have left are memories of each other.

Despite me and Elliot spending almost every day together, he hasn't tried to kiss me again. I enjoyed spending time with him whether it was studying, late-night talks, or going to Hogsmeade alone together. He meant what he said, he has been very patient with me.

"Elliot, are you sure this is safe?" I asked as he was securing my spot on a sled on top of a hill. Even though we were together this entire week, we were in Hogsmeade for the weekend. Snowflakes fitted down from the white skies above. Some even landed gently upon my eyelashes and in my hair, the heavens had opened and let the snow fall this day.

"Positive." He proceeded to sit in front of me and I grabbed on tightly to his waist. I closed my eyes, held my breath, and before I knew it we were rapidly going down the hill and both fell on our backs.

"Still think this is safe?" I had trouble getting up, laughing helplessly with every attempt. Elliot quickly got up and stood over me with a big smile.

"Is your back glued to the snow?" He teased as he offered his hand to pull me up. I gave an innocent smile and pulled his arm, landing him on top of me in the snow.

Our eyes locked and we stopped laughing as he caressed my cheek and took a snowflake from my eyelash. We stared at each other for many moments, I watched as his eyes went down to my lips and then back my eyes.

God, is he beautiful.

There's something of a romantic beauty about him. His perfect jawline took my breath away, his pupils dilated as soon as he looked at me. His piercing green eyes felt like they were staring into my soul and I watched as a piece of his curly hair fell by his forehead.

He hesitated, but then slowly went in for a kiss as if he was waiting for me to pull back.

I didn't.

My hands played with his hair and pulled him in closer until there was no space left between us. I felt his body warm me up from the snow as I went from freezing to suddenly feeling hot. This kiss was exhilarating, soft, and slow.

We pulled apart and held each other's arms as he placed another kiss on my forehead. I grabbed a scoop of snow and placed it on his head laughing playfully. He shook his head as it fell onto my face and I turned my head to avoid the snow.

I heard chimes from a coffee shop coming from people exiting. My smile quickly disappeared as I realized who it was. Malfoy had a hurt look in his eyes. While Blaise had his arm around Tracey both looking around not realizing what was happening, Malfoy continued to keep eye contact with me. None of his muscles moved, it was as if he was frozen. Eventually, he shook his head and walked the opposite way.